The Tesseract

Warning: contains mild swearing
ENTERING AVENGERS TIMELINE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I observe the Tesseract. It's been acting up lately.

Now that I can control my powers, S.H.I.E.L.D. has finally allowed me to work on important missions. I'm pretty good at a lot of the science, technical, mechanical, and stealth fields, so S.H.I.E.L.D. basically makes me a shoe-in for most of the missions.

I sigh listening to the evacuation alert. I'm not allowed to leave until Fury decides what to do about the Tesseract. But, that's what agents do, lay their lives on the line for dumb reasons. I really do love S.H.I.E.L.D. though.

After carefully studying the Tesseract for a few more minutes, Fury walks in, "Talk to me doctor!"

"Director," Eric Selvig greets. I just nod my head and continue to check on the Tesseract, making sure it doesn't get worse.

I glance up at Agent Barton and glare at him. He's just sitting watching us. I can't believe he can just sit there while we do all the work! Then again, that's Barton. An ass, but a good friend.

"Is there anything we know for certain?" Fury asks, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"The Tesseract is misbehaving." He replies. I sigh, knowing that the answer isn't good enough for Fury.

One of the scientists starts to poke at the Tesseract. I roll my eyes. This guy wants to kill everyone. I hold back a laugh as it pushes him back.

"Don't touch it! Do you want to kill us all?" I ask him. He shakes his head and observes from a distance.

I watch as Selvig and Fury walk by the Tesseract.

"If she reaches peak level..." he begins.

"You're prepared for this doctor? Harnessing energy from space." Fury asks. I bite my lip, unsure if we really are.

"We don't have the harness. My calculations are far from complete. Now she's throwing off inference, radiation. Nothing harmful, low levels of gamma radiations."

I shake my head, "but with the increase and energy, it could get much worse very soon."

Fury comprehends for a moment, "gamma radiation can be harmful. Where's Agent Barton?"

"The hawk?" Selvig asks, "up in his nest as usual."

"He's waiting for the right moment to come, Sir. But until then, he's observing and trying to understand the sudden rise in energy." I defend Barton.

"Agent Barton," I hear Fury's voice in my earpiece, "report."

I watch the two walk away and start talking, most likely Fury accusing him of being useless. Don't get me wrong, he is right now, but if something happened, he'd be right on it.

"Doctor, it's spiking again," one of the agents on the computers calls. I rush over to my station at the computers and start typing frantically, trying to find ways to keep the energy down.

"Shit." I whisper under my breath as the Tesseract begins to spark. I don't rush over to it though. I like living.

It shoots a beam out that becomes a giant portal. It grows until it explodes and I rush over to Fury and Barton.

All I can see is a man's figure. I curse at myself for not wearing my stealth suit, which includes gloves that help me harness my ice. All the agents take slow, cautious steps towards the man.

"Sir, please put down the spear!" Director Fury yells towards the man, and for a second I hope that the man will drop it willingly.

He looks at his spear and causes a giant blast towards us. I fall down in response, and hear the blast of guns coming from the agents. I get up slowly, taking deep breaths. I watch as he takes out almost all of our agents and ruins the whole facility.

He runs toward Barton and my heart stops the minute Barton opposes his attack and starts struggling. He touches his spear to Barton's chest and I can see Barton put his gun away.

"What just happened?" I ask myself, only to realize that I need to take this man down.

As Fury tries to hide the Tesseract, I run towards him. I never use my powers without permission, except now. I feel anger boil inside of me while I watch him mind-control more people.

I rush up to him and let the ice escape my fingertips, only to find him almost immune to the ice. He quickly touches the spear to my chest, and I find myself following him.

"FREEZE HIM!" I scream at my body, but it doesn't respond. I try to keep it from moving, but it doesn't listen to me.

"He's controlling me," I think, "I'm now his slave." I shiver thinking of the things he could make me do. I don't want to hurt anyone.

I've become a monster.

---------------------------------------------
A/N: I hope you liked it!

Just so you all know I have a lot of state tests to take for the next few weeks, so I'll try to update once a week but it might be hard.

Thank you all for reading and staying loyal to the story!