4th of July

Steve starts to shift in bed. I grab his arm drowsily, pulling him closer to me. "Steven," I groan, him struggling to get out of my grasp.

"Good morning. I have to go out training today. It might take a while. Tony's having dinner tonight and guests over I suppose. I'll be back in time for that," Steve explains, pulling away slowly.

I open my eyes slowly. "Happy birthday," I whisper, giving him a small grin. He leans forward and gives me a kiss on the forehead.

"Remember you can get up today, but be careful. No running or anything. I love you so much," he blushes. I smile, closing my eyes gently again.

"I love you too. Come back soon, and be safe."

The next time I open my eyes Cap is long gone. It's 9:30. I get up extremely slowly, carefully putting the weight on one foot then the other. I'm a little shaky at first and my side hurts, but eventually it's basically back to normal (other than the pain). I go and take a shower, feeling so much fresher. When I open the closet, there's a new outfit inside: jean shorts with the American flag on them and a red off-the-shoulder shirt (see picture above!). I put it on and then turn around to look at the nightstand behind me. There's a silver bracelet, with a note from Steve:

I can't wait to see you tonight! I love you!!!

I grin and place the bracelet on my wrist. Then I go into the bathroom. I put on some mascara and lip gloss and then curl my hair, putting it in tight pin curls. These curls were common during Steve's day and age, so I figure it'd be a nice touch. Once I'm all ready, I put on my converse and get in my car. It's time to go to downtown New York.

I hate driving in the city. It's nothing I can't do, but it's something I could live without. I park in the nearest parking garage and walk down to the city. My first stop was at the M&M shop. I bought one of the large bags of M&Ms that they sold specifically in red, white, and blue. Steve used to love M&Ms. They started out in 1941 and sold only to WWII soldiers.

The next place I went was to the nearest phone store. I bought the newest iPhone (6) and started to set it up for Steve. Luckily I was able to snatch his phone this morning so that the company could switch his contacts and pictures to his new phone. Steve had a flip phone that he never used, but he bought the phone because it said "easy to understand". I don't think he realized that it's easy to understand for people who learned how to work phones. At this point working an iPhone will be just as difficult as a flip phone. I text him a cute picture of the two of us and set it up as his lock screen. Perfect. Then I drive back to the mansion (it's called Avengers Mansion now to me).

Once I arrive, I wrap the phone and the candy up in American flag paper, then put the packages in a bright blue gift bag topped off with red tissue paper. I throw in the card that I wrote and everything is ready. I sneakily put the gift in the closet and wait for him to arrive. In the meantime I take out my phone and scroll through Instagram.

About ten minutes later the door opens slowly, and I look up to see him standing in the doorway. "Hello beautiful," he charms. I giggle and stand up, showing off the outfit he got me. "You like?" I ask.

"Stunning," he remarks. I happily walk over to him and give him a kiss. "You got a hair cut" I notice, running my hands through his short hair.

"Do you like it?" He asks, still holding me gently. I pull back, looking at his short hair.

"It definitely is a change," I respond honestly. It'll take a bit to get used to, but it is cute. "Oh! I have your present in the closet. I don't know if you want it now or after dinner..."