We Need Space (Civil War Part 6)

We land on a snowy mountaintop. T'Challa and I both get out of the jet and walk towards the entrance of the bunker we stopped at. "I'm going to keep my distance, follow them. This is the man that killed my father. Justice must be served."

"Okay, I'll be right with you, just to make sure things don't go South," I explain. He nods. It seems like he's taken a liking to me, if not a tolerance. We enter the building and walk down a hallway. Around the corner, Steve, Bucky, and Tony are walking down a corridor. When they enter a large room, we continue to follow behind, staying in the shadows. I try to listen in on their conversation as we get closer.

"You killed innocent people in Vienna just to bring us here?" Steve asks the man in front of him. That's the guy who was asking Bucky questions, the guy who killed T'Challa's father.

"I thought about nothing else for over a year." He explains. "I studied you. I followed you. How is your little girlfriend doing by the way? Or are you not together anymore, since you've decided to mess around with someone else?" I can't help but shiver, uneasy at the fact that somebody has been following us around.

"Don't you dare talk about her," Steve growls.

The man doesn't seem fazed by Steve's threats. "Now that you're standing here, I just realized... there's a bit of green in the blue of your eyes. How nice to find a flaw." I can't help but get angry at this comment. He must be really grasping at straws if he's considering the green in Steve's eyes to be a flaw.

"You're Sokovian. Is that what this is about?" Steve asks.

The man shakes his head. "Sokovia was a failed state long before you blew it to hell. No. I'm here because I made a promise."

"You lost someone?"

"I lost everyone. And so will you." He plays some kind of video on a screen. "An empire toppled by its enemies can rise again. But one which crumples from within? That's dead... forever."

"I know that road." Tony says. "What is this?" As the footage finishes, Tony lunges at Bucky and yells at Steve. The group starts fighting, and that's when the man makes his exit. I feel helpless watching them fight, so I follow T'Challa back outside to track down the man.

The man is sitting in the snow, listening to a phone call. "I almost killed the wrong man," T'Challa says, grabbing his attention.

"Hardly an innocent one," he retorts.

"He had no choice," I add.

"This is all you wanted? To see them rip each other apart," T'Challa questions.

"My father lived outside the city. I thought we would be safe there. My son was excited. He could see the Iron Man from the car window. I told my wife, 'Don't worry. They are fighting in the city. We're miles from harm.' When the dust cleared... and the screaming stopped, it took me two days until I found their bodies. My father... still holding my wife and son in his arms. And the Avengers? They went home."

"We couldn't save everyone," I explain. "We tried to help as many people as we could. I'm sorry."

"I knew I couldn't kill you. More powerful men than me have tried. But, if I could get you to kill each other..." he turns his attention back to T'Challa. "I'm sorry about your father. He seemed a good man, with a dutiful son." I rest my hand on T'Challa's shoulder, noticing his claws are out, and shake my head. This won't change anything.

"Vengeance has consumed you. It's consuming them." He says, retracting his claws. "I am done letting it consume me. Justice will come soon enough."

The man holds up a gun to his chin. "Tell that to the dead." T'Challa jumps to action and blocks the bullet from killing the guy.

"The living are not done with you yet." I freeze his wrists together as makeshift handcuffs and take him onto T'Challa's jet. I can see Steve walking out carrying Bucky, both covered in blood. T'Challa leads them towards the jet, but they don't get on.