Calm Before the Storm

//: Sorry it's up so late! The first day of school is tomorrow so I've been busy getting ready, but I had to post! I haven't proof-read yet, so sorry for any errors you may find!

I wake up with a start. I'm definitely excited for today. I change into a light pink sweater and jeans, and throw in Peggy's earrings for good measure. My dad is stationed in Wisconsin right now (odd, I know), so I have to catch a flight there and meet up with Brooke. All of this flying is sort of driving me crazy, but it's been worth it every time. Soon enough I'll be flying back to New York and meeting up with Steve. Oh right, Steve!

Steve is supposed to call me today! I turn the ringer on my phone so that I don't miss the call then get ready to go to the airport. Sharon drives me—she's been really sweet lately and I'm glad that we've been able to bond and make -up—and I send Brooke my dad's location.

I'm at the front desk trying to book a flight as Steve calls me. Obviously I have to pick up, but I'm still over at the Delta desk trying to book a flight. I motion for the lady to give me a second while I pick up: "Hi Steve!"

"It's nice to hear your voice," he laughs, "that was the longest flight of my life."

"Don't get me started," I complain, "I'm catching a flight to see my dad now, then going back to New York later this evening. Hold on for a second, Steve." I finalize my flight with the secretary and she prints my ticket out. Taking it and my suitcase (even though there's no clean clothes in it anymore from all the traveling), I head towards security.

"At least you'll get to see your dad. Tell him I said hi," he adds, which I'm not surprised by. Steve loves getting brownie points.

"Brooke is coming with me, too. Scott's super busy so she had nothing else to do. What are your plans for Nigeria again?"

He hesitates to tell me at first, but finally gives in. "We're trying to find Crossbones. It's taken us forever to track him down, so we have to go for him while he's still there."

"Well be careful," I sigh, "sometimes you get too in your head and your emotions. As long as you stay focused on the mission you'll be okay."

"I love you so much. Have a good flight," I can hear him smiling through the phone and it's kind of adorable.

"I love you too, Steve Rogers. Tell me how it goes."

"I'll call you the second it's done." With that we end the call and I Board the plane, ready for a 4 hour flight.

Luckily, I take a nap so the flight isn't nearly as long as planned. Once I get off I go over to the baggage area and look around for Brooke. She was planning to take a flight over to here and meet up. Luckily I find her, looking extremely lost.

"I'm still not used to flying with an airline," she hugs me tightly, "why do so when you can fly yourself? I definitely trust myself over these other pilots."

"I know the feeling, but you've gotta admit it's nice to just relax while somebody else does all the work. Long time no see by the way," I laugh.

"Yeah, the one day without you and Steve was just exasperating. Plus, I like your dad. I also don't like Hope. I mean, power to her for being kick-ass and all, but she's definitely got ulterior motives." She complains. I feel kinda bad. Her and Scott have been working really well together. She gets along really well with Cassie, and I'd hate for a sidekick to come in and take that all away from Brooke. She deserves that happiness, deserves a family.

We both get into a rental car and I start to drive to the base. It's a somewhat long drive because we have to get away from the city, but once we get out there Wisconsin is pretty sparse. I kind of like it.