Battle of New York (Part 2)

Steve and I run back to Clint and Nat. We both immediately join the fight. I freeze the ground ahead of me and wipe out at least 20 aliens. More come. Soon we are surrounded and it seems to be too much when...

Lighting flashes from the sky, knocking out all the aliens around us. Thor comes down to the ground.

"What's the story upstairs?" Steve asks him.

"The powers surrounding the cube is impenetrable," Thor replies uneasily.

"Thor is right," I hear Tony explain in the intercom, "we gotta deal with these guys."

I sigh as I look at even more of the aliens coming from the sky, "There's so many to deal with."

"How do we do this?" Natasha asks.

There's silence for a brief second that feels like forever, until Steve breaks it, "As a team." With that, I can feel my confidence rising. We can do this.

"I have unfinished business with Loki," Thor grumbles. Don't we all?

"Yeah, get in line!" me and Clint say at the same time. I glance at him and he glances at me. We've been known to do this a lot.

Steve decides this is the perfect opportunity for yet another motivational speech, "Save it. Loki's gonna keep this fight focused on us and that's what we need. Without him these things could run wild. We got Stark up top, he's gonna need us..."

Suddenly, Bruce arrives on a motorcycle. "So this all seems horrible," he says while awkwardly getting off his motorcycle.

"I've seen worse," Nat replies.

"Sorry..." Bruce trails off even more awkwardly; he must have brought back some bad memories for Natasha.

"No," she states trying to make him feel better, "we could use a little worse."

"Stark? We got him." Steve explains through the headset.

"Banner?" Tony asks.

"Just like you said."

"Then tell him to suit up. I'm bringing the party to you," Stark tells us. He comes flying towards us with a giant, angry alien behind him.

"Oh joy," I mutter and get ready to fight.

"I... I don't see how that's a party..." Nat says to me. I shrug. Stark and the giant alien come swooping onto the concrete and barreling down the street.

Banner starts to walk towards the monster and Steve stands there uneasily. "Dr. Banner, now might be a good time to get angry," he states.

"That's my secret, Captain. I'm always angry," he replies and begins to turn into the Hulk. The Hulk runs toward the alien and flips it over. As Tony shoots the alien, it explodes, sending debris everywhere. Steve has his shield guarding me from the debris and I smile gratefully.

We all stand together, ready to take on the rest of the aliens. We can do this.

"Guys." Natasha says pointing to the sky. Way more aliens fly out, a lot more than I thought there were.

"Call it Cap," Tony asks uneasily. I continue to stare at the giant mass of aliens.

"Alright, listen up. Until we can close that portal up there, we're gonna use containment. Barton, I want you on the roof, eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays. Stark, you got the perimeter. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or turn it to ash," he commands in his authoritative voice.

"Wanna give me a lift?" Clint questions.

"Right. Better clench up, Legolas." Tony replies, and the two soar up into the sky. I smile at Barton's new nickname. I've always used Katniss, but Legolas is a pretty good nickname too.