Long Time, No See

Steve and I make it to the airport early in the morning, ready for our flight back to New York. In California time it's only 6 a.m., but in New York it's 9. Just as we're about to check in for our flight, I get a message on my phone from Sharon Carter.

Sharon Carter:
Hey Hannah! Aunt Peggy has been asking to see you a lot lately, which is really special since that means she specifically remembers you. I hope you'll come by to D.C. to see her soon!

I shoot her a quick text back. Nobody keeps Peggy waiting, especially since she's doing so well.

Me:
I'm actually at the airport right now. I'll get on a flight over to see her as soon as possible. Thank you so much!

I turn back to look at Steve. "Peggy's been asking to see me," I explain, "would you hate me if I flew down to D.C. instead to see her?" I give him puppy dog eyes for added effect.

He smiles, "of course not. Nobody keeps Peggy waiting." He looks down at his phone. "Actually, I have to go on a mission with some of the others, so I guess we're both going on trips."

We both go to the front desk to change our flights. Steve is going to Lagos, Nigeria, so his takes a while to change, while mine is easy since I'm staying in the U.S. I immediately text Sharon with my ETA (3 p.m. her time) so that she can pick me up from the airport. She's been really nice lately ever since she helped me out in Sokovia, and I'm hoping we can patch our relationship up.

"How long is your flight going to be?" I ask Steve once he gets finished at the front desk.

He cringes slightly. "Seventeen hours. I wish you could keep me company."

"I'm going to miss you a lot," I frown, "it's going to be hard to talk with the mission and the time change." Nigeria is 5 hours ahead of D.C., which makes calling at the appropriate times a little difficult. "Promise you won't be gone for long."

"I'll work as fast as I can. I love you. And when I get back, we're just gonna hang out and relax all day."

"Sounds like a date to me. What time is your plane going to land?" I ask, heading towards my flight terminal.

"3 p.m. tomorrow my time, so 10 tomorrow morning for you. My flight doesn't leave for a few hours."

"Well, get a book or something to occupy some time. You may actually want to invest in the cabin WiFi if you get super bored," I suggest. "Whatever you need, I'm here to talk." I get ready to board the plane.

"I love you; have a safe flight," Steve says, giving me a quick kiss, and then I'm off.

The flight isn't too terrible. The landing ends out being a bit rough because of the overcast weather, but it's still tolerable. I'm lucky that I like flying, given all of the trips I'm sent on as an agent. More often than not we always have a rough landing, so I've gotten used to it. I get off the plane as quickly as possible and meet Sharon in the pick-up area of the airport.

"Hi!" I exclaim, getting into her car. I hope things aren't going to be too awkward between us.

"Hey Hannah," she starts driving off, "how was your flight?"

"It went pretty well. The landing was a bit rough, but overall it wasn't too bad. I can't wait to see Peggy again, and hopefully we'll get to spend some time together too!"