Surprises

An elderly man opens the door. His hair is gray and his eyes look exhausted. His face seems pale and sickly, but he has a small smile on his face.

"Hello," I state professionally, "I'm Hannah Coulson."

I reach out my hand to offer a handshake and he takes it, shaking my hand lightly.

"I haven't seen you since... since you were a baby..." he trails off.

I twiddle my fingers awkwardly. "Can I come inside?" I ask, and he opens the door wider, allowing me to step in.

I enter a main hallway with beautiful wood floors and blue-grey paint.

"Come here, I have a surprise for you," he motions, as if he had been planning for me to come here the whole time. I follow him into the kitchen and see a woman probably in her mid-20s sitting at the table.

I stare at her, confused. She has blonde-brown hair that covers her face as she looks down at the table. Is she supposed to be the surprise? My grandfather stands still at the table, so I take a seat, assuming she has the answers.

"Hi," I say almost under my breath. She looks up at me with wide brown eyes. "I'm Hannah Coulson. Well, technically Coulson-Quill," I babble, breaking the silence.

Tears fill her eyes, as I sit completely confused. She looks at my expression and has a moment of realization, "Oh, I haven't introduced myself yet. Brooke Udanta. But also Brooke Udanta-Quill. I'm your sister."

My brows furrow in confusion, "But I thought you went missing? ...drowned and your bodies were never uncovered?" I question, and only then do I realize that I also have a brother.

"And where's my brother?"

"Well, 1. We didn't drown, we were captured by alien-like men who were going to take us to our father. And 2. He stayed up in space. Was too lazy. He wanted to chill with his girlfriend."

My eyes open even wider. Space? Alien-like men? I look at my grandfather and he nods, as if showing that she's not crazy.

"Uh... okay. Did you mention our father? Do you have any clue who he is?" I ask, giving up on trying to find out about her childhood.

"No," she answers and we both frown in sync, "all I know is that he isn't from Earth."

"So he's from space too?" I question. Dr. Selvig did explain Jane Foster's theory on space, and this is actually supporting it.

"Yes, but an ancient part of space. One that isn't seen often in most parts of the galaxy," she explains.

"Is that why I can do this?" I curiously ask, then force my hands to turn cobalt, slightly freezing the table.

Her jaw has fallen open, and she makes no comment for a minute. Everyone in the room is silent. I rub my hands on my pants to warm them up.

"How could she have known? How could it..." Brooke mumbles under her breath.

"What's going on?" I demand, overwhelmed by so many confused emotions.

"My moth... OUR mother gave me this necklace to give to you," she whispers, holding out a beautiful necklace with a silver chain and a shimmery snowflake hanging on it. "Our father gave it to her before you were born, then never showed up again."

I carefully grab the necklace. I run my fingers along the smooth silver chain, then touch the pendant. I'm immediately filled with happy memories that I never had, positive energy, and confusion all at the same time. I drop the necklace to the table and snap out of the dream I was in.

"Agent Coulson," I hear in my earpiece that I never take out, "do you copy?"

"Huh?" I ask speaking into the device. "What did you say?"

"I said we need you over here immediately. We have something to go through with you." Fury states simply, as though I was a child. I roll my eyes.

"I have to get going," I explain, grabbing her phone and putting my phone number in it, "but let's keep in touch. For sure. I'm gonna find out who our father is if it kills me. Tell our brother I said hi."

I walk out of the door and make my way over to the helicopter. I look at the necklace in my hand, then throw it on the "dashboard". My stupid father left us when we needed him most, and did something to this necklace. I'll find out what.

I take a second to calm down and start flying back to the helicarrier. "Something to go through with you" usually means that I'm getting in trouble for stealing a helicopter, or they found out something extraordinary. Guess I'll find out when I get there.