29.

Peter's POV

"Does it hurt a lot," May asked and ran a hand over my hair. I sighed and looked down at my arm that was in a cast. 

"They've got me on all kinds of pills May. I don't know what they are, but they must be working, cause I don't feel a thing," I said and looked back up at her. "May I promise you I'm fine," I then assured and smiled at her

"I wish I didn't have to work," she frowned and bent down to kiss my forehead. "I'm gonna come visit tomorrow at around four. Will you be alright till then?" she asked and picked up her jacket from the visitors chair. I nodded and she gave me one more kiss on my forehead. "Bye," she let her index finger boop my nose in the sweet way she had done when I was smaller. 

"Bye," I said and she walked out. My eyes were heavy so I decided to close them for just a second. 

"Peter," I heard a faint voice barely whisper over my head. I opened my eyes the best I could and recognized Rue. Her beautiful teeth showed as she smiled when she saw me open my eyes. 

"Wha- how did you get in here?" I asked and rubbed my eyes awake. She opened her mouth and was just about to say something, but I cut her off. "No I don't want to know... I'm just glad you're here," I admitted and snickered. She put a hand on my cheek and her forehead against my forehead and closed her eyes. 

"I had to see you," she whispered and let our noses touch. I moved my chin up and our lips gently met for a long second. I opened my eyes when she leaned back, and bent down to the backpack. She came back up with my old EarPods in her left hand and her phone in the other. She stood up from the bed and lifted the thick duvet. I adjusted myself so there was enough room for her, and she snuggled up against me. Her legs were slightly bent and her head rested on my shoulder. My arm was wrapped around her head and caressing her hair slowly. She put the EarPod in my ear, the other in her own, and turned on her phone. She had millions of different playlists for different occasions and music genres. It was crazy how much different music she listened to. It was also one of the things I loved most about her. 

She put on the song Cherry Wine by Hozier.

(I suggest you put the song on, before you keep reading)

Her eyes shined in the faint light blue hospital light as she ogled up at me. Her hand was warm and caressing around on my jaw. I could tell by how she had subconsciously adjusted the features in her face, that she was still scared from earlier. The way she blinked so slowly, meant she was thinking about something, she would rather have out of her mind.

Liz had been pissed and made a whole scene about me not showing up to our date a week earlier. I only told her that I was sorry and that it wouldn't work out, but I barely understood anything I was saying. Because for the first three days of being with Rue, it had me thinking of nothing, but her. My mind kept coming back to the same question, again and again. 

"How could I not have figured it out earlier," I whispered, and she smiled. Her head moved up an inch, and her beautiful lips parted for a second before the answer came. 

"I've been asking myself that question too Peter," she whispered back and glanced down at my lips. Did she love my lips just as much as I loved hers? Not possible. I could stare at them every minute of everyday, and just be proud that she had let me touch them. Heck I was just proud I had actually gotten someone like her. Someone so kind, so gorgeous and so perfect.

"The way she tells me I'm hers and she is mine.
Open hand or closed fist would be fine.
The blood is rare and sweet as cherry wine."

She closed her eyes letting her eyelashes fall to her cheeks. The best part of when she slept was that I could just observe and inspect every inch her face, without her asking me, what I was doing or why I kept staring. I would never get sick of looking at her. In that moment. Her with me. Me with her. Something clicked inside my brain. I will never be able to let her go. 

I turned my cheek to her, and looked up at the light blue ceiling. If I stared long enough the small dots up there would start to look like stars. Rue let her head lift slightly and she kissed my cheek gently.

"But I want it.
It's a crime.
That she's not around most of the time."

She took a deep breath through her nose, and I could feel the heated air on my cheek. "You okay?" she asked, and I moved my head to hers, so our noses were an inch from touching. 

"Yeah..." I whispered and gave a reassuring smile. She gently let her fingers wander to my chin and moved it up slowly, so she could reach my lips and kiss them. 

"Good," she smiled lightly before closing her eyes once again. I let my mind wander and held her closer, as we both drifted off.

-

kinda short chapter, but I hope you liked it.