~ Chapter 16 ~

Hello! Weekend and the first time I don't have a shitload of HW, APs are not it guys. But this is a safe space where we don't discuss the work of Satan. 

Let's get into it!

First Person - Y/n

As time went on, talk turned to the King and Queen's fete at the Grand Palace. 

The Grisha Summoners were expected to put on a demonstration of their powers to entertain the nobles, and much time was spent discussing who would perform and what would make the most impressive showing.

I had been to the winter fete before, but never in this position or standing. It was my first time being presented to Ravka as a Grisha and not a general, and I was due to perform well.

"Just don't call it 'performing,'" Genya warned. "The Darkling can't stand it. He thinks the winter fete is a giant waste of Grisha time."

"Well, it kind of is," I replied to Genya. "Any word about the Darkling?"

"Yes, he's left for the north," answered Genya. "You keep asking, why?"

Despite my best efforts to keep it to myself, I couldn't anymore and said, "He and I kissed."

"WHAT?!" yelled Genya dropping the little candle she was holding. "WHEN?!"

"About a few days ago, maybe a week, I was practicing with Baghra, and we went on a walk, and well it just happened."

"And you didn't tell me?!"

"Well, I assumed that the Darkling kissed a lot of Grisha girls. And when there are people like Zoya around-"

"Nope, stop right there," interrupted Genya taking my hands, "The Darkling has never once had a romantic connection to any Grisha. People have tried, and it usually ends with them being sent away or disappearing."

"He's never had a girl he liked or loved...or a guy?"

"He's not into that, and nope he never had one. People used to say he was waiting for the one," replied Genya smiling, but then her face changed.

"What is it, Genya?"

"Just promise me that you'll be careful, and don't allow yourself to get hurt."

I didn't really know what she meant by that, but I nodded either way hoping to understand exactly what she meant later on. 

"Y/n," said a voice from behind me and I turned to see Ivan. "We need to talk."

"I'll see you later," said Genya walking away and I turned towards Ivan. 

We walked in silence out to the courtyard and it wasn't until we were by the Summoners' Pavillion that he finally broke it. 

"You seem happy," said Ivan, and I turned to look at him. 

"I think I am," I replied honestly, as I remembered what Ivan saw a few days ago. "Ivan, about what happened, I know that-"

"Y/n, I'm happy that you're happy," interrupted Ivan. "And he would be too."

"Really?" I asked and Ivan nodded. 

"I didn't spend much time with Maxim, but when I did he would never stop talking about you," said Ivan and I smiled. "He would talk about how you're a great general, and how you save people and how, ironically, you lit up his world. All he ever wanted was for you to be happy...He would be proud of you to see who you are now."

"You think so?"

"I know so...He always knew you were special and that was long before you became a Grisha."