Rhink #3

- Let’s just finish this here – Link laughed and Stevie shouted “cut”. Another episode of Good Mythical More filmed. This time they had to film quite late and Link asked the crew to edit it during the night, promising that he would give them an extra payment.
Link got up from the chair and rubbed his eyes for a bit. He felt exhausted. Waking up late at night with Rhett’s calls really gave him a hard time. Then kids, school, editing, recording, kids, Rhett. Link felt a bit dizzy just thinking about his routine in the last few days.
- Don’t work out yourself too much guys. Just put the texts and the videos in it and it’s done. It went well today so there’s no need for much editing in this one – Link said in a calm tone and received smiles and nods from the crew.
He grabbed his cardigan that was hanging on his chair and made his way to their office. He was about to close the door when Rhett ran in, squeezing through the still open space the door had. Link was caught by surprise but quickly recomposed and closed the door.
- You’re not talking to me now? – Rhett asked looking at Link waiting for him to look back. Bur Link just sat at the table and stared at the screen of their laptop.
- I am – he answered drily. Rhett sat on the sofa, and for a while the only noise present in the room was the mouse clicking of Link’s laptop. Rhett sighed and felt a bit desperate. He was feeling awful and, just like an addict, he was shaking and craving for someone’s touch. He felt like he needed to be in someone’s arms for a while to make it through the night. It was such an odd feeling because, Rhett didn’t even like when people got touchy with him, but at this moment, he was desperate.
He got up from the sofa and walked beside Link. His breath was accelerating, his heart threating to jump out of his chest and his fingers seemed like leaves trembling because of wind.
- Link… - he started, but Link interrupted him.
- Please keep some distance… You smell… - he announced, still not making eye contact.
Those words seemed like knife that cut Rhett’s chest. He closed his eyes in pain, but didn’t move. He sighed and fighting through the lump in his throat, he decided to weakly defend himself.
- How do you… How do you expect me to be with all this? – he asked with a shaky voice.
- I don’t know Rhett…
- I’m serious…
Link dropped his head for a second and then finally looked at Rhett. – You’re kidding me, right? I mean… You have to – he answered in a sigh.
Rhett looked at Link with a lost look, making it seem like he didn’t even spoke English.
Link turned now fully forward to Rhett. – You do realize that because of your drinking, your family left. You don’t drink because they left. They left because you drink. – Link was explaining this to Rhett like he was 6 years old.
- That’s not true… - Rhett looked down.
- Yes it is. It might be not like that now, but it was at the beginning. This is fully your fault. Were you happy with your children seeing you like that, Rhett? Were you?! Because honestly, if I was you, I would be ashamed of myself – Link tried to keep his voice low and calm.
- I know I’m being an idiot… - Rhett looked at the ground.
- Then why do you keep doing this? Can’t you see that everyone around you is suffering because of you?! – Link was now talking louder.
- What about me?! – Rhett exploded. – Who cares about me and how I am suffering?! This is a fucking addiction and it’s not “just stop drinking”, okay? I am in pain too but everyone around just seems to be concerned about themselves because I make them suffer! Who will care about me, Link?!
- Me you idiot! I freaking care! – Link screamed back. – I am here! I care! Because you are my best friend and I love you and care! But this won’t work out if you don’t give a little push to yourself either – Link was now standing, looking at Rhett.
- This…This is not that easy – Rhett sighed with his head still low and his vision getting blurry because of the tears and threatened to fall down.
- But it is possible to get through. It all depends from you man. – Link put his hand on Rhett’s shoulder, making Rhett finally look at him.
- Just please don’t leave me – Rhett said in such a low voice that Link had to listen closer.
- Of course I won’t leave you, Rhett. I’m with you. I’ll always be with you.
Rhett grabbed Link’s hand and pulled him into a hug, wrapping his long arms around his smaller friend’s torso.
- You should go home and take a shower – Link said against Rhett’s shoulder.
- Come with me – Rhett answered.
- What? – Link separated from the hug.
- To my house, this is… Please, come with me. Stay for the night… Or at least for a bit. I’ve been going like crazy being alone in there.
- I don’t know Rhett… Lando is quite sick and I need to help Christy…
- Just… For a bit… please… - Rhett asked, looking his friend in the eyes.
Link sighed. – Fine. But just for an hour.
- Deal – Rhett said with a smile.
Link turned off the laptop and picked up his jacket. Both men said their goodbye’s to the people from the crew and left the studio.
Sometimes Rhett wouldn’t bring his car because his house was quite close, so they both entered into Link’s vehicle and drove to Rhett’s place.