Rhink #43

Rhett looked at himself in the mirror for what it seemed to be the hundredth time. He carefully looked through his tuxedo, to make sure nothing was out of place or something else he didn't notice.
- You look amazing, Mr. McLaughlin. – Judith, the maid, spoke as she passed her hands through Rhett's shoulder, straightening the material on that area.
Rhett smiled. – Thank you. Don't stay awake waiting for me. – he answered, knowing that she probably would still do it. She cared about him more than anyone. Judith was a sweet old lady. Rhett appreciated her.
- I'll try. – she answered, giving Rhett a smile back.
The blond tall man nodded to her, as a goodbye, and made his way to the exit door, passing his hand through the pockets of his pants to make sure his wallet was there, and then grabbed the keys to one of the cars. He didn't really pay attention of which one.
Link Neal was well known for his parties. No one really knew how much money that man possessed, but it was surely a number that no one could even pronounce. It was ridiculous. Ridiculously amazing.
Rhett admired him. His graciousness and beauty and the ability to stay so well hidden from media. Media didn't own him, he owned the media. When he wanted attention, they'd give him, for the rest of the time, no one even knew if the man was still on the planet Earth.
Of course, for his 37th birthday, the man had to throw a Gatsby style party. Everyone knew about it. Everyone would attend it. Rhett hoped to even be able to meet with the dark haired. Even better if he remembered him. The admiration had to stay hidden of course. Rhett had a reputation to keep.
The parking lot beside the huge village was obviously already almost filled up. The lights that illuminated the huge building were too strong and the power used here could probably be enough to feed the entire state. That was one of the Neal's cons: he was wasteful.  With so much money blocking his view, he didn't see the limits on things he was doing.
Rhett calmly made his way inside the mansion. The innumerous guards and waiters surrounded him as soon as he stepped into the property.
- Nice to see you, Mr. McLaughlin. – they greeted him when the man walked in, immediately offering a glass of champagne and little pieces of toast with caviar on it. The taller just took the drink.
There were a lot of familiar faces already. Famous actors, singers, or people just known by their money. Not the nicest, to be honest. Money surely changes people, and they were all changed, Rhett included.
So the blond tried to avoid them. He didn't make eye contact and pretended to be looking for someone, aimlessly walking through all the people.
As Rhett passed, by the corner of his eye he observed the fashion choices of each person. Posh dresses with diamond necklaces and pearl earrings. Tuxedos of all kinds but which made everyone look almost the same. It was such a typical thing of this type of parties. He started to lose faith in Link Neal's power to create something different.
As he entered into a room with a huge chandelier on the ceiling, which he believed being made of actual crystals, and a huge staircase that led to the second floor, dressed with long red carpets, Rhett stopped beside one of the tables to put down his champagne glass and grab another. At least the drinks were delicious.
A round of applause started, getting the taller man's attention. On top of the stairs was Link Neal himself dressed in an expensive white tuxedo and with a smile to match. The black glasses made a good contrast with everything else.
- Good evening everyone. I hope you all have a fantastic night that I prepared just for you. Let's all have fun and forget everything else. Let's party like there's no tomorrow. - his familiar voice sounded and the man raised his own glass filled with champagne, toasting everyone. The people down here did the same, a significantly bigger number being now clear since everyone gathered to see the man. Rhett just drank as his eyes followed Link coming downstairs, never dropping that millionaire smile.
He grabbed some sweets to which he didn't pay attention and slowly walked out of the room, in controversy with everyone else who was walking in. Everyone wanted to give Neal birthday wishes personally.
In a more quiet room, he sat on a chair, probably brought from some museum. Wasn't the most comfortable, but it would do. He sat there until he finished his drink and realized he wasn't sure for what he was waiting until Lincoln walked in. Their eyes locked for a second, but then the other went to greet the few people present in the room. Rhett was trying to decide if he should feel special or offended with the fact that Link went to talk with him lastly.
- McLaughlin, it's great to see you again. - he spoke and extended his hand in Rhett's direction.
- It's great to be here again. - the blond answered and shook the other man's hand without standing up.
Link sat on a chair next to him. - Are you enjoying the night so far?
Rhett shrugged. - The food is nice. The champagne too. Thinking about grabbing my third cup.
- Bored?
- A bit.
- I'm sure there are a lot of people who you know, here. - Link smiled forcefully. – A lot of beautiful ladies. I'm sure some can win your heart. – his smile turned into an almost evil smirk, making Rhett remember he was known for being cold hearted towards having a partner. Some rumored he was gay but wanted to cover that up. Others said he was already in a secret relationship. Half true.
The taller made a pause before answering, looking at Link during that time. - Even you don't believe that's "fun". You're doing that to be polite. Or seem polite. – the blond answered, ignoring completely the last part.
- You're wrong. - the dark haired answered, losing a bit of his oh-so-polite posture.
- Am I? - Rhett smiled.
This time it was Lincoln doing a pause. He observed Rhett and then got up from the chair beside the blond man. - I have to go. - he forced another smile. - I hope you have fun. - and then walked away.
Rhett was amused with himself, for some reason. He had triggered him. He felt above the other man this time. To congratulate himself, he got up to grab another glass of champagne.