Chapter 72

Mia could hear Bela, Cassandra, and Daniela pacing by the door like hungry animals waiting for a mouse to come out of a hidey hole. She knew now that what she had pulled was a bad idea, leaving the castle could possibly be at the price of her life or parts of her flesh. Leaving the room would be the death of her, torn apart by three ravenous women, like a cat flung around between stray dogs in an alleyway. The bleeding had stopped and Mia had been stitched back up, but the looming presence of the daughters couldn't be ignored. Their giggles were haunting and filled the room from outside.

They're going to eat me in this room, I'm done for.

It wasn't until you came into the room that the daughters had dispersed, Lady Dimitrescu coming in from behind you. Mia could feel your eyes burning into her, but she deserved it. She tried to pull a horrible stunt of feeding into Lady Dimitrescu's instinct and yet it didn't work. "Mia, my wife has given you the option to leave, get eaten, or take your chances." You spoke matter-of-factly, having no emotions in your gaze. Mia could see Lady Dimitrescu slip her hand over your shoulder, drawing you closer. "I'll take my chances." Mia hissed in pain, slowly getting up. "Just keep your daughters away from me."

You gave a small nod, Lady Dimitrescu leaving the room to let you two talk privately. Mia gave a soft sigh, laying back down. "You have a lot of nerve to feed them rabbits. What were you thinking?" You snapped out, eyes full of emotion.

Is that betrayal, admiration, or anger?

Mia gave a small groan, then a deep breath. "I wanted to prove that you shouldn't trust her because she is part of the reason that Ethan is dead. Her daughters ate him while he was barely alive! (Y/N), why do you trust them so much? Why do you easily give into them?" Mia could see that her question took some thinking through. "Why do I trust Alci and the girls? I know that they are part of the reason Ethan died, but I don't have a connection with Ethan or you anymore. You broke that off when it was revealed that I was just your side piece." You began, sitting on her bed. Mia could see pain in your eyes when recalling that night.

You used to look at me like how you look at Lady Dimitrescu... I want you to look at me like that again.

"Alci did try to eat me once, but that's because I fed into her instinct to kill. Cassandra saved my life that night, her and I never liked each other until that happened." Mia could see the smile crawling on your lips when reminiscing on your quarrels with Cassandra. "I trust them because when I was in need, they came to help me. You didn't try to find me when Mother Miranda kidnapped me, but Alcina and the girls did."

You moved your shirt, showing the many scars that had been inflicted upon you on your back, shoulders, and the back of your neck. "Mother Miranda did these, she beat me if I didn't break. Every time I escaped her grasp, she would beat me and nearly drown me. She wanted me to be her pawn." You explained, lowering your shirt.

Why are you still here after everything?

"So why do I trust the Dimitrescu family?" You asked Mia's question, getting up. "Because they are my family. Because I love Alcina with every molecule of my being. If she is to snap and devour me tomorrow, then at least I'll be able to spend one more moment in her arms." You were walking to the door.

You have always been so kind, even to those who would do you harm... I wish I could have that kindness directed towards me.

Mia looked up, catching your gaze. "I'm sorry that I broke any trust we had." She spoke softly, seeing a mournful smile on your lips.

"Oh Mia. After that night, there was no trust between us. There will always be animosity."

"Will I ever have another chance of gaining your trust?"

You gave a soft nod, making Mia's heart flutter.

Please say yes.

"One day. But my heart will always belong to Alci."