Day 3|II

Gemma Hadley was decked out in her red flush gown, running around with my father. Every occasion she'd walk out from somewhere with something my dad supposedly couldn't find.

And me? I stood at the top of the staircase, in the shadows like a creep, watching them. My mother was a disarray, obviously from waking up so early but every now and then when my father left the room a look of worry crept through.

I had my doubts too. Though job security was absolutely confirmed, I was wondering if leaving our home was the right choice. Was there some crazy-universe-voodoo-magic thing that would make this a bad idea?

Thankfully, I didn't have time to Google the chances of cosmic intervention since my mother noticed me. She gave me a sympathetic smile as I made my way down to her.

The house was still as it was. Still cozy, still warm in a way but it had lost something. The lights had made everything artificial, maybe even foreign.

Whoa there, when did I become such a poet?

In all honesty, I can't tell you a single thing of that morning. The only bits I remember was like the sentences ripped out randomly from a wattpad book. I guess in a way I focused on these weird details and feelings rather than what I felt. I was numb. Cold.

"I see." She murmured. She slung an arm around me and pulled me in, holding for what felt like dear life. I hugged her back just as fiercely.

When we eventually pulled away I saw a streak or two down her cheeks. On her shoulder was a massive wet mark. Most probably from me...

She held me at arms length, hands on my shoulders. "It'll only be for a minute or so and then I'll be with you, okay?"

She sounded like she was convincing herself as well as me but I knew she would. She'd follow her man anywhere. In that moment, looking in her eyes, all I wanted was what she had.

She must've seen the look in my eyes and mistaken it because, "Don't worry. It's not the end of the world."

Before I could figure out what she meant, a figure moved. My dad was warmly dressed with his work bag carelessly thrown over his shoulder. On any other day I would've guessed he was trying to go to college but I realized he had finished and given me time with her.

He nodded, confirming it.

My mother moved till she was in his face. I say that for closeness because my father was at least a foot taller.

"Come back to me." He whispered and kissed her forehead. I would've turnt away but I kept watching.

Another tear fell down as she balled her fist and lightly pushed his jaw as if punching him. "Take care of my daughter, you hear?"

"She's my daughter too, you know." They smiled at each other and embraced one another. Then they pulled apart and my dad looked at me.

We moved to the car. My dad drove a older versioned, black, ford explorer. However it still made people nervous when my dad was behind them. I used to love that when to pick me up from school or trips out of town.

Now it would carry me across the country.

Don't think about it, Alice. Distance is just a number. This is life! Remember what Zayne said.

Right, how could I forget my brothers prediction that I was likely to lose my friends anyways. Stranger still that same reaction I had to Becket and Hannah, was being applied to Célia.

The thought of my best friend didn't even cross my mind since my dad woke me up. It's just been get what you need, say goodbye, get ready. Not I'll miss Dorian, Priscilla, Erin, Becket. I'll miss the subtle winters of my small town and over the top summers. Not that I'll never see my friend again.

My dad joined me in the car. He turned on the ignition and the heater to full blast to warm inside. He then started it up and backed up the driveway, pulling alongside the curb for a moment.

My mother was standing by the front door, her hands folded into her pits for warmth but she withdrew one to wave when she saw us looking. I waved back eagerly.

"You ready?" He offered a small, comforting smile. It was still dark out but there was a slight tinge now from the dawn. I focused down the street, not seeing neighbours I knew or memories but my journey that laid ahead.

I gave him a comforting smile of my own and nodded. "Let's get out of here."