Day 8|III

My body, soul, emotions, were all numb. Non-existant but my brain was somehow able to comprehend everything still.

Mr Victor disappeared with Jace soon after before the silent classroom erupted in an attempt to release that pent up agony. I found it strange that even though I could see the noise so to say, I couldn't hear anything. It was almost like pieces of me were still coming to terms with what happened.

I don't remember pressing my head against my table, silently bawling. I don't remember shaking, holding myself as if I was the only one there.

Eventually I looked up and it was like looking at mirrors of myself. Fellow students crowded around us but they all wore the same expression. Anger. Sadness. Trauma. Some girls had steady streams of salty tears running down their cheeks. Boys seemed to be dealing with the inability that they could do nothing. All crowded around us, slowly embracing each other.

I caught Annabeth peering at me. Another mirror. It felt wrong to think I was the only one who could support myself. Looking around this classroom, and at Annabeth, I could see plenty that would support each other. Students bonded by this terrible experience.

I'm happy you're alive.

A noise pierced through my delirium, the intercom.

"Students, all students, and teachers to gather in the hall now." Principal Theodore announced before shutting off.

We were slow to move but, when we did, that sense of solidarity had grown somewhat. We were together as walked to the hall, mine and Annabeth's arms intertwined around each other. The others watched us, no doubt wondering what the hell had happened to us.

When we made it to the hall it was obvious that it was because of us. Because of that we all stood in the back, arms around each other. Even some of our friends had edged closer. This was the first time I'd ever been to the hall but, for the life of me, I couldn't remember a single detail of the room. All I could focus on is Principal Theodore, Chief Naomi and Mr Victor on the podium.

"What happened?" Shana whispered, clearly aware of our condition.

"Attention." The mic boomed. Principle Theodore stood grimly in his formal attire. "Clovers. We live in a dangerous world and we, no matter how much we do, can only protect you so far." 

"Most of us probably thought that what happened two Saturdays ago was the end." He must have been talking about Harry since every big thing seemed to revolve around him. "However, something happened a short while ago. One of our students interrupted Mr Victor's lesson, threatening to kill him and a few of our students."

Some were slow but everyone put two and two together, looking immediately to us. We were officially the class that survived a possible mass shooting. I shuddered. Chief Naomi watched me, an unreadable expression on her face.

"Mr Victor calmly engaged the student and Harry Malakai disarmed him." Principal Theodore continued angrily. He seemed furious to have failed twice to protect his students, having to rely on a teacher and the one he failed. "Because of these two brave souls, some of your very friends are still here today. Thanks to them, no one is going to hear that their friends/child/sibling were shot today.

"Now as you can see Chief Naomi is behind me. The police have the child in custody and we'll proceed with the necessary procedures. Chief Naomi has given me permission to send you all home today. I just ask Mr Victor's class to stay behind for a few minutes."

Chief Naomi took his place, her eyes scanning over all of us eventually resting on our class. Me.

"I have already received a statement from Mr Victor and we have secured the gun. However we have not been able to locate Mr Malakai on campus. Please do share information on that. Go home. Recover. Say and do what needs to be done and said."

In other words, have no regrets.

The students cleared out so the three adults stood in front of us. Mr Victor took center stage with the others behind him.

"I know what you are going through right now because I was there." He sounded exactly the same as earlier. "Obviously, the police need a statement from a few of you but we've called your parents and they've arranged to take you to the station once you're ready. I think we'll probably avoid my classroom for a while. I don't think even I want to go back in there. And..."

He breathed hard."... I think the real hero is Harry. If he hadn't stepped in front of Jace, I'm sure I wouldn't be here today. He saved us. "

He did. He absolutely did. Thank you. Thank you.