Day 12

If there was one part I absolutely loved about Ridgeway, it was the beach.

I had been there twice and each time the weather was somewhat sour. At least that day it was warm but the wind was still sharp, the water still icy. But I appreciated it. It was the only place I had absolutely no control and I was fine with it. Everywhere else people pushed and pulled, drama insured. That infuriated me but the weather being unhappy? That was fine by me.

We were a bit more this time. A few other friends of West and Bran had tagged along. Shana and Cass were in the water with them besides the chill while London and I gathered wood for the bonfire. The girls had argued that it wasn't only a man's job so now we had to make it. Which I was capable of.

The biggest difference was Harry.

He was actually here, sitting alongside Annabeth on the same rock from the last time. It was probably that that made the weather slightly more bearable. He didn't smile that much though, just small bursts of a glimmer here and there. Almost as if he was still trying to figure out what he was supposed to be.

But I was happy he was here. Actually out. Yes, he was sitting with Annabeth right now, a bitter pill but one I would gladly swallow. His eyes alternated between the sea and me so that made it easier.

I was pretty sure Annabeth knew something was up. His big commotion at the school and the glances he threw pretty much assured that. I took it as a sign there was something there. I wasn't sure if he actually liked me or what but Harry didn't seem like that type of guy to lead someone on.

"So, what is this thing going on?" London interrupted, throwing a smirk my way with her arms full of wood. "You know, you and Harry?"

"You reading my mind or something?" I joke but we both know I was serious. I peered at him to see his eyes already on me. "I don't know. I'm trying to figure it out too."

She nodded as if it was acceptable. We were both just decked out in hoodies but her strands of her blonde hair poked from under, scattering in the wind. Her green eyes flashed uncertainly.

"I'm sorry." I turned to look at her as she placed her wood down before looking at me. "For, you know, warning you of Harry."

Oh.

"It's okay. You were just looking out for me." Honestly that's what I thought it was seeing as they are friends. I doubted she was telling me Harry was bad news.

"It's just, you've been here for what now? Short of a week?" She reasoned, seeing the need to point out my chaotic first week in Ridgeway. "I just thought if you maybe weren't around Harry all the time, it would be easier. You'd deal with what's considered normal around here but it seems he likes you."

The tide swept in and out before I replied. "I think it's just too much. I'll have to get used to it but do you really think so?"

She laughed, a nice break from the seriousness of the conversation. So much so that I smiled too. "I don't know but there's something there. He treats you differently. I don't know what's gonna happen next which makes this a bit interesting, but there's definitely something there."

There'd better be something there. I didn't let you in my room for nothing Malakai.

The future was always uncertain but I was starting to realize that Harry had more on his shoulders than any of us. I started to realize it would look weird if he suddenly snapped back into his old-self overnight. Now I was sure he didn't even know what he would snap into.

I turned back to see him already staring at him. Even from a distance I could see his eyes were red but he smiled, almost exactly the same as before. Maybe it was my smile.

Maybe I would wait for him to figure things out. He deserved that.

Author's Note

I just got back from my holiday and this is officially where The Road After ended. Day 12. From now on everything is brand new and I have so many ideas. Longer chapters ahead so buckle up.