Day 5|V

We both stare at each other, both nervous. Both waiting for something to happen. Someone to say something. Someone to blink. Someone to-

"Cute outfit." I blinked hard at his voice. It was the second time hearing it but it was still so raw and broken. Soft. "I didn't get the chance to say it yesterday."

My face felt warm. Gosh darn it.

"Yeah well, whatever." I paused. "I don't think I said it yesterday but thank you."

"No, you didn't."

"Aren't you gonna say it back?" I asked, still waiting.

He raised an eyebrow. "Aren't you gonna say you're welcome or something?"

"My pleasure or something." I noticed his face didn't really show emotion beside his eyes. Though his eyes showed nothing in context to those emotions. "You're new here, right?"

"What? How did you know that?" My hand rested against my hip. "Have you been stalking me?"

"What? No."

"Well then how'd you know?"

"Obviously I can tell. I go to this school and I've never seen you before. Plus you're wearing the same clothes as yesterday." His words prodded at me, making me feel slightly embarrassed. "And there was that little thing of you almost walking into a gang."

"Riight, sorry. That should've been obvious." I apologized.

"Remember?" His eyebrow rose again.

Oh I remember. I remember a lot of other things too.

"Yeah," I swallowed, stopping any flashbacks. ", I remember."

"You told me, in case you don't remember."

What now? "Told you what?"

He turned to lean against the wall, his eyes unmoving from mine. "That you are new here."

The corners of my lips tugged upwards. He noticed. "Then why would you ask if you already know?"

He shrugged but I could see something. Maybe embarrassment, maybe a little sheepish, I wasn't sure.

"When did you arrive?" He instead asked.

Strange question, hot mysterious boy. "Two days ago."

He nodded as if he needed something more to tell him he was right. "You came in the charger."

"Okay now I know you're stalking me."

He pushed himself off the wall. "How am I stalking you?"

I subconsciously took a step forward without even realizing it. "How'd you know I came in the charger?"

"It was a question." He argued also moving closer.

"Sounded like a statement to me." Another step.

"Did you forget you're new here?" He was the same distance from me as the day before but closing.

"No, you so kindly reminded me." I was so close I had to look up at him.

"I didn't see any new cars in the parking lot." He explained, his voice low. I didn't understand why until I realized how close I was.

Jeez, he's giant. Not big enough to make me look miniscule but just enough to make me feel like it. Definitely over six feet. And I could see him clearer too. The patchwork of bruised and healthy skin, his wet lips and those eyes. Those eyes.

I couldn't stop it. Not this close to him and it was bound to happen anyways. The thoughts of us, the ones I had made up while in the shower, came to mind but one thought pierced through them all. Punching him.

"Oh." My voice was tiny, soft. I could smell him. Sweat, boy, salt and strangely coffee.

"I'll take that as a yes." He answered, just as low as I did.

"What?" Distracted... Why'd his voice sound almost exactly like I'd imagined it?

"The police cruiser." He explained.

"Yeah. My father and I got a tour of the town." I should probably move away before I become a mess.

"He's here then?" I didn't move away, even though my heart was racing and my face was on fire.

"Downstairs registering me."

He nodded. "The type of guy that won't like his daughter talking to a boy, I take it?"

I smiled. Was he worried about my father? "Probably."

He sighed. He must've had coffee before coming here. Dammit, now I want coffee. "Then I'll see you."

He stepped away. I hadn't notice how hot I was until he did. He slung his bag over his shoulder and held up his hand. Just like yesterday, I thought.

"Wait, what's your name?" I quietly shouted, careful not to break this fragile bubble between us.

"You'll find out on your first day." He called back. A few more steps and he'd be gone until whenever.

"And what about my name? Aren't you interested in that?"

I found myself holding my breath as he turned by one of the locked doors. He studied me.

"I'll find that out on your first day."