Day 3|III

A/N
Sorry for the late update.

I've just been hella busy with studying but it'll be either two or one update a week.

Anyways, enjoy and hit that star!

Day 3|III

We drove that entire Monday. It was insane. The mere idea that we could cross the country in a day but that's exactly what we (or I suppose my dad) wanted to do.

We stopped only four times, three for fuel and once for lunch. The hours for first two times I spent reading or watching the landscape change every half an hour. After the first two hours though I became restless.

I settled for talking to my dad. I told him about things I'd miss that didn't really hurt my heart. I told him about my soccer team, my favourite teachers, even that stupid dock that Célia and I had visit on our last outing.

Just thinking about her set a low, torturous fire along my veins. I tried so freaking hard not to think about it, about her, to just look ahead. At my new school, my new college if I get in, my new life but when I thought about that an overwhelming sense of guilty filled me.

I'd probably make new friends, new memories and everytime I'll just wonder if this was something I could've had back ho- at Charringfall.

"Hey," My dad interrupted my daydream. I must've gone quiet for maybe, I don't know, twenty minutes or so because he was giving me this look where he was on the edge of concern.

"We've been on the road a while now." He continued. "I'm thinking we stop ahead and maybe refuel. Grab breakfast and maybe an energy drink or two."

My stomach rumbled at the idea of food. We'd been in such a rush that food didn't even pop into my head which is bad. Though after my dad mentioned it, I wondered what sort of breakfast the next gas station or truck stop would have.

Almost another half an hour went by we saw what we were looking for. My dad flipped a left into the diner/fuel stop.

It was very out of place and, having watched enough low budget movies, I thought that was a red flag.

There was just one row of pumps and a store as its partner. It didn't look too run down. Definitely kept clean and upheld but outdated by at least ten years. Pathways led on the sides where what looked to be a diner was situated. From where I could see it looked sort of full but I was jumping in my seat as my dad filled up.

When we pulled to the back I got a better view of the diner. It was old but  vintage. 60's red and white, that needed a layer of protection, decorated beams and walls. The only gleaming aspect was the windows which gave me a glimpse of red barstools and blue booths.

A delightful ring echoed as my dad opened the door. Footsteps echoed off the chequered floor. Two waitresses walked to my left and right, one serving a trucker while the other wiped the tables. Another two females were behind the vintage bar chatting away. Behind them, photos lined the walls along with glasses and drinks. 

"Good morning." My dad greeted the women behind the counter. I didn't realize it before but they all wore white, red and blue aprons.

"Morning, sir. Here you go." She handed us two menus. Smile lines checkered her eyes.

"We're going to sit in the booth over there." My dad pointed to one of the booths overlooking our car. She nodded and told us she'd be there in five minutes.

We settled in the booth and in silence, my dad deep in thought. Much like me actually.

"This case is weird." He finally said. His face broke into a smile. "Then again, it's not completely unheard of."

"What case?" I asked while drooling over the in-house breakfast. "You mean that kid?"

He nodded. The waitress came and we gave our order. "I spent a few hours with the Chief of police down there. From what I understand they've got some gangs and some corrupt cops, but that isn't unheard of."

"Oh, gangs?" I paused. I mean it's not like there isn't a city or town without a gang these days. Still... "So how does that make this case weird? A kid defending his home?"

"A kid defending his home from who? My best guess- Thank you." My dad smiled at the waitress as she put our food down. "My best guess is those were gang members who broke into that kids house. And to defend it to the point of killing them is-"

"-hectic." I finished for him. What kind of power did you have to have to take on three gangsters? "So is that why there's a backlog of cases? The gangs?"

He shook his head as he took a massive bite of his toast. I followed suit and internally groaned. "The usual. Drugs and etc. I don't know why exactly there's a backlog though. From the outside it looks pretty pedestrian but I guess we'll find out."

We ate in silence after that, both of us thinking about the dilemma that was Ridgeway. My bacon, eggs, sausage and milkshake was divine but I couldn't help but think about that boy and what he went through.

As we hit the road once more, I still couldn't get him off my mind.

A/N

If there was ever a chapter that was a filler then this is it. I couldn't just jump to Ridgeway like that. You'll have to be patient.

Hit that star!