Day 39|I

The next few chapters right there 🔝

There was a heavyness surrounding me. My body felt a weird combination of a numbing but also comforting feeling. I knew if I moved it would come to an end. The heavyness felt worst around my hand and there was some strange pressure on my face too.

My eyebrows furrowed as I opened my eyes in confusion. Immediately I regretted it as bright light instantly blinded me. The heavyness around my hand increased.

"You're awake." A deep voice gasped. I looked to my left for the source.

It was my dad.

He looked tired, more than usual, and strangely had his pj top still on, but what shocked me most was that there were tears rolling down his face.

Someone on my right moved and delicately pushed hair out my face. There was something on it but I couldn't figure out what. My mom smiled, her eyes just as red and her look just as messy. She leaned forward and pressed her lips to my forehead, lingering for a minute or two.

Mom. Dad.

Mom. Dad.

"What..." My voice sounded funny as I tried to reach for the thing over my face. My mom quickly stopped me however and reached behind me for something.

"Shhhh, honey. You can't take the oxygen mask off yet." She coed as she looked once more behind me. "Wait until the doctor comes, okay? Okay?"

I laid still, watching them as they did me. They really looked exhausted and it was clear they had been crying. I really hope that I didn't cause so much damage. If I did, this was a new bar for me.

Eventually a woman in a doctors coat walked in. Her caramel skin somehow looked warm underneath the artifical light. Her short, curly, bob styled hair was dyed black. Her red, plump lips split open for a smile as she looked around.

"You're finally awake, Alice. My names Elizabeth but most call me Doctor Megan." Her voice was smooth and chilled, taking the strangeness out of this situation. "Gemma, you mind...? "

My mom immediately moved away, Dr Megan taking her spot. She quickly did her work, checking vitals and all the other hooha they show on doctor shows. I just watched.

She really was beautiful, almost like she did come from one of those shows. She also looked young, near my age which seemed impossible. I knew that to be a doctor, you'd have to study for several years.

"Right, everything seems good so I'm gonna ask you some questions just to see for any signs of amnesia or possible concussion." She stuffed her hands in her coat, her charcoal eyes narrowing. "So, tell me your full name first."

"A-Alice Hadley." I cleared my throat, my father's hands still around mine.

Megan nodded. "And do you know where you are?"

I looked around, trying to figure out an appropriate answer. "In a hospital?"

Megan snorted and nodded with a smile. "Right, you wouldn't have been here before. Tell me the town's name instead."

That answer came a lot easier with much less thinking. "Ridgeway."

The doctor nodded again. "What do you remember last? The last event that comes to mind?"

I looked at my parents who were quietly watching and immediately kicked myself. Obviously this was worse than sneaking out to go on a date.

"We went to the dragstrip and we left after a couple of hours, I'm pretty sure. Yeah, we stayed for a few hours and then left."

Doctor Megan bit her lip in concentration. It was rather distracting but she said nothing about my recollection of events.

We?
Harry and I.

I realized that this was officially the first time I'd thought about Harry. I hadn't thought about him all the time I was sleeping nor when I was awake either.

"Right! So for now, everything looks okay but I'd like to keep her just for a few days on concussion watch. Also to see if her memory improves but everything looks good, Mr and Mrs Hadley. I'll send someone later to check in."

"Wait." I winced as everyone turned their eyes back to me. "What happened? And what about Harry? If something happened to-"

"I'll tell you everything as soon as I deem it's safe to." Megan interrupted, a serious tone piercing my worry. "For now just focus on yourself. The rest will come later, I promise. As for you two, don't tell her anything. Doctor's orders. "