Day 11|I

They allowed us off until Thursday, their reasoning being that a sense of normalcy would help us move forward. That, along with counseling and the shut down of Mr Victor's class, made the day valid.

I used Wednesday to make up for lost time with my brother. Come Thursday, he had already left so I made sure that it was better than the last time one of us left.

I also got closer to Annabeth since a certain someone had grey ticked me. Strange how that it is. Somehow the girl I had been the most edgy around was suddenly my confidant. I suppose that's what life/traumatic experiences do to you.

I made sure to actually look good but not too good. You know, that I didn't have to put effort in but I still look this awesome? I wanted a certain boy to notice me in hopes for maybe a conversation.

I had no clue where we stood. If anything, him sneaking in just made it all that more complicated. I knew from what I saw that he wasn't all that social when at school yet, when with me, he was. I remember how easily he spoke with me on the top floor and at the beach. Even Tuesday morning, he spoke so easily, even making a joke.

Did that mean we were on a talking stage? Did that mean he liked me? I mean he had to, right? Hey, he got to see my green underwear so he better like me.

I decided to make my decision when I see him at school, if I see him. With Harry, you can never be sure. It felt weird to be focusing on him more than school, another first, but with all the craziness it seemed easier.

My mom drove me to school in the explorer, my dad seemingly having a morning in. I was glad though, I'm not sure what speech my father would've given. That being said, as soon as we stopped, mom turned to me.

"Look, I'm not gonna say anything." She began. Leave it to her to know exactly what I was thinking. "Just go enjoy today. I don't know if it'll be hard or not, that's up to you. But enjoy and mingle."

In other words: You're alive.

Mission accepted. I grinned and gave her a hug before getting out.

As I made my way inside, I wondered how different it would be, physically or psychologically. Would the atmosphere be different? I wasn't sure. A particular lime hatchback was missing much to my disappointment. There my hot-self was in grey sweats with a jumper hanging off the shoulder and he wasn't even here.

That left me observing the school as I made my way to my locker. Everything seemed...fine. Weird but I should've expected it. Bad things happen in the world all the time. That didn't mean the world changed. Okay, maybe their was temporary change but not everlasting. So it made sense that things were still normal.

My friends were busy shouting at each other as usual. Bran flirting with London, Shana, Annabeth and even Cass. She seemed back to herself as if that previous guilt had disappeared.

Harry wasn't here though. But like I said, I was happy for the normalcy.

Classes dragged on like the most interesting documentary. What? That's the best I can do to make boring and long classes sound good, okay?

I took a pitstop at my locker for the next periods books before making my way to the cafeteria.

Noise from over a dozen classes pulsed through the doors before I even walked through them. Albeit normal, I was still kinda new to this new girl thing and walking through the cafeteria was usually your make or break moment. That and the fact that it just so happened that my group sat in the middle of the room.

I took a massive breath and walked in, immediately making my way to our table. Nothing spectacular happened like everyone following me which was good. In fact, everyone seemed to be throwing glances to someone else. Interested, I followed suit.

Here go Loverboy.

He was sitting right next to Annabeth, across from the girls. Almost on cue everybody looked away from them but the rest of the students still snuck glances.

It's okay, I told myself. It's just Harry. Harry who's name brings cafeterias to standstills apparently, but Harry. Just put a brave face on and be you.

This was gonna be a disaster, I immediately decided.

"Hey guys!" I greeted, immediately focusing on the others before him. But the minute my eyes fell on him all I could picture was us standing together in my room, my hand pressed against his chest to feel his rapid heartbeat.

He looked absolutely nothing like then, his mouth full of sandwich. He chewed slowly, not breaking eye contact once. Somehow that looked attractive. He slowly swallowed, worsening the heat in my cheeks.

Annabeth gave me a strange look as if trying to figure out what was happening. Harry just sat still, clearly waiting for me to do something.

Okay, sir. My turn to serve.

"Um, d-do you m-mind if I-I sat t-t-there?" I choked.

God, strike me down now. That's how embarrassed I was right then and there.

"Yeah sure." He slid his sandwich across the table, closer to Bran and moved.

I plopped into his seat quickly. For all I knew my legs would give out next. I caught his eye again, already watching me. He was rather calm and collected when others were watching.

Others... Crap.

Only then did I realize just how silent it was. It was true. Harry really does bring cafeterias to standstills.

"Thank you." I managed, happy it was two complete words this time.

I wasn't sure if my face could get any hotter, it no doubt the Sun already. It seemed like I'd been mistaken, again. There was clearly no specific way Harry expected me to act. He was a lot like the sea, constantly sweeping and receding without any order. I couldn't believe in that moment that I was still questioning if I actually liked him.

But of course that was now gone. In that moment, as he smiled at me (probably the first time in weeks), I knew I was head over hills for this boy. I couldn't even help the smile that grew on my face.

"It is my pleasure. Harry Malakai."

Game, set and match. But to us. "Alice Hadley."