On The Sidelines

Wednesday, September 3rd (OTS of SVU) (4:30 PM) (Allie's Perspective)
"Mom, Look at the stuff I got when I went shopping with my besties!"
"Gorgeous!! Ready for your first day?" I nodded.
"I can't believe that you're an 8th grader. Where has the time gone?"
"Time always flies by when you're having fun. Don't you always say that?" I asked her.
"It's true. Hey Al, I'm going to be leaving set a bit earlier today, so don't expect to stay here for long."
"Cool. Are you still going to your event tonight with Dad?" She nodded. Mama and Dad don't put their issues on display because they don't think it's healthy for us kids to see that. But sometimes you can tell when something's going on between them.
"Why are you being so quiet? You're just nodding and going 'mhm' over and over again." She caressed my shoulder before they called her for another scene. Okay? Very interesting for someone who preaches honesty and being open.
*******************
Samsung Gives Charity Gala (10:17 PM) (Mariska's Perspective)

2 days ago.......
"Mariska you can't just walk away."
"I can. I'm not doing this with you right now, our children are two doors down and they don't need to hear their parents fighting."
"Don't you think that maybe if you stayed and talked to me that that wouldn't have to happen?"
"Peter, I'm done."
"You know, ever since you've come back from Utah with Allie, you've been so uptight and bitchy. What, did you pick up some of Allie's problems on your way back?"
"Wowww, awesome. Bravo, Peter! Do you feel better about yourself now?"
"Mariska, wait-"
"I'm done. Talk to me again when you sober up."

"Mariska, you look amazing!" Nancy said to me. I held my hand over my heart.
"Thank you! So do you!" I have to say, she did have me startled for a moment.
"Where's Peter? You guys are usually joined at the hip at these events."
"He's with his friends. He hasn't seen them in a while." Nancy tilted her head.
"Is everything alright?"
"Yeah, why wouldn't it be?" I checked my phone swiftly and my mind raced with thoughts as Nancy told me about her kids and her husband. I tried to keep up with the conversation just so that she wouldn't suspect anything again.
"He's in Dartmouth? That's amazing!"
"I know! It's his dream school. Alex tries hard in everything he does, he deserves this. That's what I told him when he opened those acceptance letters. He's worked so hard. Does August have an idea of where he'd want to go?"
"He's told me that he wants to go to Yale like his Dad or USC. Nothing less."
"Sweet. What about Allie?"
"She hasn't started thinking about colleges yet, so I don't know. But she keeps saying to me that she wants to go far away from us." We both laughed.
"Ooo, the event's starting. I'll see you later." Great, now I have to deal with Peter for the next two hours. I went back to our table (with Ali and her husband) and I sat down. Peter and I haven't had such a big fight in a very long time. Usually, when we fight we make up in seconds, but that isn't the case this time around. Most of our arguments are mainly about how we parent the kids or how we think things should be done in our house.

2 days ago
"When am I ever going to get an opportunity like this again? You know how hard it's been for me to get jobs lately."
"Peter, I understand-"
"No you don't, you're fucking Mariska Hargitay it doesn't take much effort for you to get a job. You get them without even trying. Meanwhile, I'm on the sidelines. Whenever we go somewhere, who gets noticed first, huh?"
"Peter, when we started dating, you told me that you were fine with that. If it was a problem, you should've bowed out 20 years ago. Why are you suddenly so upset about this now?"
"Because this project has serious potential just like Younger."
"And you think that relocating for this one project would be fair to the kids?"
"It'll only be for a year and a half."
"Still, this is their home and we'd be disrupting their lives. It isn't fair to them."
"They're very well-adjusted kids. They could adapt."
"Doesn't make it any less fair. Allie just got back from Utah, the kids are days away from starting school. No, Peter, the kids aren't going anywhere."
"So, I'll go decline yet another offer."
"Now you're just being petty. If you want the job, do it! The kids are staying here!"

"I'd like to present this award to my beautiful wife, Mariska. Come up on here, babe." Everyone clapped as I went onto the stage. We exchanged a swift kiss. I don't even feel like faking that I'm happy to be here right now.
***************
My Bathroom (Thursday, 6:45 AM) (Allie's Perspective)
It's the first day of 8th grade and I'm feeling pretty good to be honest with you! This summer was a bit rough, but I don't want to drag any negative energy into this school year. I'm just going to have the time of my life this year. I started putting on my makeup. I learned my lesson from last time. A red lip never gets past Dad.
"I'll just go for some gloss instead then." I decided to go for a natural look this time.

Josh: hey guys, when are we meeting up?

I may have neglected to tell my parents that I don't have a first period this year...but you know what? That's fine. They don't have to know. More fun for me in the morning.

Claire: what about 7:15 at Joy's house? I'm almost ready.
Joy: cool! Allie? Mark?
Me: Sounds perfect! Let me just finish up!

I went downstairs and witnessed the utter chaos going on.
"Amaya, you can't go to school dressed like that."
"What's wrong with my outfit?" She looked down at her oversized shirt and shorts and rolled her eyes.
"Go change."
"This is annoying!"
"Well, good morning everyone."
"Morning." Dad set a plate of avocado
Toast, bacon, and eggs in front of me. I feel horrible for what I'm about to say.
"Um Dad, I'm not that hungry. I was actually just coming to say goodbye."
"Goodbye?? It's only 6:55."
"I was going to Joy's house before school. Everyone's meeting there and then we'd grab a bite to eat on the way to school."
"I didn't know anything about that."
"I thought Mom told you." He sighed.
"Mom hasn't been telling me much of anything lately, but okay. Come and take some pictures real quick and I'll let you go." We hate taking these pictures so we just took them very quickly, I left and met up with Josh in front of my building.
"God, you took long enough, your doorman was staring at me like I was crazy."
"I'm sorry, my Dad held me up."
"As usual. Like your fit by the way."
"Really? I thought it was kinda basic and plain for today, but I have gym so I didn't want to do anything too extravagant."
"Plain? You look amazing."
"Aww, thank you Joshy!" I blushed and we held hands. Oh wait, we're in 8th grade now.

"I could wait." He said.
"Wait?"
"Yeah, we don't have to kiss or anything if it makes you scared. Not until 8th."
"Promise?"
"Pinky promise."

"Josh, what time is it?"
"7:10." I nodded.
"Hey, can we hang out at your house after school today?" I asked as we approached Joy's house.
"Why?"
"I think you already know why." He grinned.
"Ooh, you guys! So cute!" Claire said.
"Thanks! You look gorge! I see that you dyed your hair."
"I couldn't resist. Blue's the only color I haven't done yet."
"Where's Brian and Mark?"
"Inside, eating. They're so annoying. I literally told him that we're going to eat later."
"Knowing them, they'll have room."
"Mom, we're going to go now!"
"Alright, bye guys! Have a great day!"
"So wait, where are we going?" I asked my friends.
"Uhhhh, that part I don't know...Any suggestions?"
"We'll, second period begins at like 9 AM. Why don't we go downtown for a bit! We could take some cool pictures on the Pier."
"True, true! That sounds like a great idea. We can go down there, hang out, and come back in time for Science."
"I dunno man, that's a lot of work. You sure we'll make it back?"
"Totally! We know where we're going, what'll go wrong?"

To be continued~

A/N: Also, sorry for posting posting this later than intended! I hope you guys enjoy! <3