Chapter Forty-Three: The Library

When Voldemort allowed Isaac, Nicole and Elestra to stay at the manor, he told them that they were not allowed to send any owls or leave the manor unless accompanied by another. 

Once when Voldemort's gang had left to terrorise a few towns, Draco and a few other young death eaters had been left at home to 'take care' of the guests. Isaac, Nicole and Elestra were not allowed their wands which had been confiscated and Draco was told if they did anything suspicious, they would be killed on sight.

So when he saw all three of them sitting in Elestra's room, barged in.

"I did what I did out of pity." He blurted. "I do NOT intend to switch sides, and I will not hesitate if I have to kill you."

Isaac and Elestra started at him blankly. Nicole huffed, "Yeah right- You're a pussy. You wouldn't kill a fly..."

"I killed Dumbledore." He said blandly, "And I wouldn't try taunting me if I were you." he pulled out his wand and spun it between his fingers, daringly.

"You're an asshole Malfoy." Elestra called out.

"Yeah, an asshole who saved your pathetic life. Learn to be grateful, Ellington."

Isaac sensed the tension and got up, "Hey guys, how about we all just get along. There's no point bickering." He walked up to the door and put his hand on the handle, "Thank you for not telling them, Malfoy, we appreciate it," He said politely, indicating he should leave. Malfoy scoffed and walked away.

Isaac walked back to the girls and sat down, Elestra spoke first, "Why are you so nice to him? He's a scum."

Isaac sighed, "Look, I know you are going through some...break-up grudges...but we have to stay professional if we want to live,"

Elestra's eyes narrowed, "Break up grudges?? I don't even CARE."

"that's evident," Nicole commented sarcastically.

"Whatever. Let's just keep talking."

Their plan was simple. Instead of using magic owls. They were gonna use muggle mail. And for that muggle mail, they will need to go out in town. And they knew exactly how they were going to do that.

------

It had been 2 nights at the Malfoy manor and she could hardly sleep. This night she decided not to lay in her bed all night. Instead, she went to the library. The Malfoy library was dark. The variety of books were great but mostly conservative, anti-muggle born. Others were there too, but they were on the top shelfs, in the corners, away from the eye. She wondered who read them. After around 15 minutes of looking around, someone else joined her. She turned around, alert.

It was Draco. His hair was messy and he was wearing a black button up shirt with the first two buttons undone. He yawned and his sleepy eyes set on her. The way his pale skin complemented the dark under his eyes was almost devilishly angelic.

Elestra felt herself blush and turned back around, her hand on her mouth to hide her expression, if she wasn't such a bad guy, she would've kissed him.

"Can't sleep either?" he called out.

"hm." She didn't want to sound interested.

He sauntered to her as her eyes darted around the bookshelf to find something she can take to her room and avoid him.

She found a book by Charles Dickens and smiled to herself. The Malfoys had liked muggle classics. It was on the highest shelf so she reached her arm up and tried to reach it, failing a few times, she got on her toes to try again.

Draco noticed this and smirked. He stood right behind her, his chest grazing over her back. Feeling his presence, her breath hicked. His arm reached up as well, gently touching hers.

She dropped her arm, and turned to face him, looking up slightly. The little distance between them made them both turn slightly pink. His fingers had got the book, but for some reason he didn't want this moment to end.

He leaned in, and hovered over her lips. This felt so familiar. She waited for his kiss. But he chickened out.

He grabbed the book off the shelf and stepped back, handing it to her like nothing had happened. "Dickens, aye? He was a good author." He tried starting conversation to make things less awkward.

"Mhm, I didn't know the Malfoy family read muggle books," She looked down at the book, afraid of making eye-contact as it would make her nervous.

Draco chuckled, "He was a pure blood."

Elestra looked up in surprise. "What?"

"You didn't know?" He took the book off her, his hands slightly grazing hers, he flipped to the end of the book, "My grandfather was a great fan, he even got it signed."

He gave the book back and she started flipping through the pages, there were annotations in messy, old handwriting. She smiled to herself.

Draco really liked that book too. He would read it to dobby when he was younger, he had nobody to play with when he was younger and his parents payed him no attention. It may seem sad, but Draco had a lot of fond memories with Dobby.

"Do you want to read it with me?" Elestra suggested. She wasn't thinking straight. Maybe the night made her forget she was supposed to be mad at him.

"You uh...would you like to go to my room?" he was nervous.

She didn't think about it, "Yeah sure."

He lead her to his room. It was classy, expensive and dark. Elestra looked around, she liked it. It was definitely her taste.

"I like the decorations." She mentioned sitting on his comfortable bed.

"Yeah, my mother designed it, I prefer something lighter, more plants I guess?" He pondered.

"Wow. You're a plant person??? You would LOVE my mom's room," 

He smiled and walked around the bed, leaning his back against the head he opened the book. Elestra shifted and sat next to him, kicking her feet up on the bed.

He began reading. To get more comfortable, Elestra leaned her head on his shoulder and wrapped her arms around his. It all seemed so natural she didn't comprehend what she was doing. After a few minutes her eyes started getting heavy. It sucked. The moment she wanted to fall asleep she couldn't, but now when she wanted to experience every second of this, her eyes were failing her.

"Hey Elestra?" Draco looked down at her for a moment.

"Hm?" Her eyes were closed, she had almost lost to sleep.

"Do you want to sleep here tonight? The others won't be home till later tomorrow afternoon." He thought she looked too comfortable to be moved back into her own room.

"Yes please, is that okay with you?" Elestra couldn't believe he just read her mind.

He snapped the book shut and shifted his legs off the bed, "Alright, I'll sleep in the other guest room,"

Elestra sleepily grabbed his hand, "No...can you stay?"

He smiled awkwardly, "Are you sure?"

"Yeah."