Chapter Nineteen: Nervous

The next morning, Elestra pretended like nothing had happened that night. She assumed Nicole had gone to sleep after her because when she woke up, Nicole was in her bed. Elestra tried her best not to think about what had happened as it made her feel fuzzy and warm. She wondered if she should've kissed him that night. She wondered if he cared.

When they were having lunch, Umbridge demanded for their attention and spoke to everyone in the great hall, "Students, it has brought to my attention that two students were seen after curfew last night." Elestra looked to her side as she saw Nicole get tense. 

"As you all know, that is against the rules and those students must be punished!" Umbridge's beady eyes scanned the room, somehow glaring at each and everyone one of them at once.    

"Unfortunately, we don't know who these students are...all we know is that one is female and the other is a male" Nicole let out a sigh of relief and then she wondered who else it could've been. Elestra looked up and noticed Draco was staring. She grinned at him cheekily and he smirked back, they looked at each other, knowing what they were both thinking about.

"And all though I have my suspicions..." Umbridge's eyes stopped scanning and were set on Elestra, she had caught them staring. Elestra's smile faded for a moment but then she smirked smugly as if trying to tell the old lady Yeah, and what're you gonna do about it?  Umbridge was quiet offended and irritated by this so she closed her speech, "If anyone knows anything about the situation, please see me in my office."

Draco's next class was defence against the dark arts. He was pretty early, so he was just sitting on the seat Umbridge assigned him, waiting for Elestra to come. Draco was hoping he could talk to her about last night. Just thinking about it made his heart melt. He tried to think of exactly what he'd say so he wouldn't seem stupid or awkward. He started to get anxious. 

"Hey." Elestra said as she slopped down on her seat. It was really rare that she ever greeted him, but it felt nice.

"Hey." He mumbled small and awkward.

"You're blushing." Elestra said bluntly upon setting up her books. 

Her hast response made him even redder than before. He tried to cover his face with his hand, "Wh-What are you talking about?"

She chuckled, "Looks like someone's got a crush!"

Draco laughed nervously, trying to cover up his distress.

Just then, Dolres Umbridge sauntered towards them and grinned maliciously, "I think you've learned your lesson. Go back and sit where you usually do."

Elestra didn't question, she gathered her things and smiled pettily at her teacher and looked back at Draco as Umbridge left. She smiled at him empathically and left to sit elsewhere. 

Draco felt pathetic. He didn't get to talk to her. That's alright. He has a free period next, he could just talk to her then. But wait, why was he talking to her in the first place? He wanted to talk about how she kissed him on the cheek last night. Maybe it wasn't such a big deal, though. Maybe it didn't matter as much to her as it did to him. Was he overthinking everything? 

Draco continued to dwell on his thoughts throughout the lesson, hardly paying attention. 

When the class was dismissed, Draco was quick to grab his stuff, but Umbridge stopped him. "Mr. Malfoy! Mind if you stay back a few minutes?" He nodded. 

As the rest of the class dispersed, Draco was sitting in his seat restlessly, thinking of what he'd done wrong. 

"Draco Malfoy, I've worked with your father before and he has said you are a wonderful student. I'm sure a lot of other teachers would agree." Umbridge began with her fake cheery attitude. "You see, there have been a few...mishaps...around the school which I trust you've heard about," He nodded even though he had no idea what she was talking about. 

"What I have discovered is that some delinquent students might've created a sort of...secret society..." Draco was so confused. What on earth was she talking about? "I think you, as a prefect, should assist us in looking for proof. It would be a lot of responsibility and I'd love your help." 

He thought about it for a second. It's not like he could say no...but this seemed like fun. Something about responsibility seemed right to him. 

Draco had always loved approval and affection. He'd always wanted to be the glorious hero he read about in books or heard stories about. However, it seemed like someone else was always there to save the day. Like no matter how hard he tried, someone was always better. Someone would always surpass him to win over everyone. And all those people would always rely on hArrY pOtTeR for help. Great ol' HaRrY will save the day. But not this time. Draco was given a job. And now HE will be the one catching the wrong doers, AND get the extra credit he was promised. He thought about how proud his father would be...and then realised he probably wouldn't care..but it still made him feel competent. 

"Sure. I'll do it." Draco nodded quickly. 

"Lovely! I know you are a wonderful student," And with that, Umbridge scampered in her office, leaving a lone Draco to pack his belongings and leave the room.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to comment your opinions! I am open to feedback!

Vote and share if you like it :D

Stay tuned~