Chapter Six: Lost in the woods

Panting, they sat up, resting on their elbows. The spiders seemed to be backing away.

 "Where are they going?" Draco spoke, tired and breathless. 

"Maybe we are out of their territory?" Elestra suggested.

There was a moment of silence between Draco and Elestra. They were just trying to collect themselves and process what just happened. Elestra recalled grasping on to Draco's hand and felt her face get hot. She turned her head to see him, glancing around them, checking for anymore spiders. The wind rustled against the trees, sending a chill up Elestra's spine. She inched closer to Malfoy, still paranoid about the spiders.

Finally, Draco stood up and lend Elestra a hand. Hesitantly, she took it. "Well, do you know the way?" She began, looking nervously around her. Wondering if this boy remembered why he was here in the first place.

"It's easier to know where you're going at day when it's bright at this place...at night it's different..." Draco muttered, trying to searching with his eyes for a familiar landmark.

"Great! We are lost!" She crossed her arms and titled her head on an angle to watch the skies.

"Be glad we aren't dead," Malfoy quickly uttered. 

Some strange, muffled voices were coming from a distance. Elestra and Draco decided to the follow the voices, hoping they were people that could help them.

As they approached closer, they thought they could hear growls or roars, however, they pretended not to hear them, hoping they would just go away. They silently walked, trying to make as less sound as possible to avoid alerting the people near by. 

Suddenly, a loud ear-piercing roar coming from an untamed beast invaded their ears.

 Out of shock, Draco gasped and dropped the lantern. The blaring growl and the sudden darkness had startled Elestra so she hastily leaped into Draco's arms, covering her head and burring it in his torso. He too, had wrapped his arms around her, without thinking.

 He assured her whispering, "It's okay, Ellington," and withdrew his wand to say, "Lumos"

A beam of bright light escaped his wand, lighting the areas around them. As soon as she comprehended what happened, Elestra zoomed away from him as far as she could, sinking her head in embarrassment. Malfoy felt a chill run up the back of his neck and felt his cheeks flush. The muttering of people grew louder, the two of them vigilantly padded towards the noise, peering through a bush. 

They saw enormous cages homing three, beastly dragons. There were workers desperately trying to calm the mighty creatures. One of them growled and roared, breathing heavy flames. 

"That must be the first task..." Elestra whispered leaning in to watch closely. 

"Huh, I'd like to see Potter get eaten by one of those," Malfoy snorted. 

"Look over there, it's Hagrid!" Elestra quickly pointed at the tall figure walking with another, lengthy figure.

"Who's he with?" Draco craned his head over, trying to catch a glimpse of him.

"It doesn't matter who he's with...this could mean we are closer to the castle!" Elestra uttered, picking her self from behind the bush they were hiding behind. 

Draco pulled her down, "No, you fool, that oaf is always around here, we are probably way deeper in this forest than we thought!" 

Elestra gave him an angry glare, "What's your idea then, genius?" 

Malfoy thought for a moment and then spoke, "You see, he is with some woman, we should  follow their foot steps, they might lead to the castle,"

Elestra's mouth fell open, "Are you serious?! That's exactly what I just said! Are you deaf?"

Draco rolled his eyes, "You could've made it more clear. Plus, I don't listen to cowards,"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Elestra was starting to feel red-faced, embarrassment crowded her as she recalled her nervousness a few minutes ago.

Draco chuckled, "You should've seen the look on your face when you saw the spiders!"

"Like you can talk," Elestra narrowed her eyes playfully.

"Come on, let's just go," Malfoy and Elestra tip-toed their way across, trying not to be seen. They turned the corner and came face-to-face with Moody. 

"What 'er you two doing here? I thought I told you to stay where you were!" He cried out. 

"There were spiders! They chased us and we ran! We could've been killed!" Elestra blurted out angrily. 

"That's my bad Ellington, guess I should've been more careful, let's go back before Dumbledore finds out." Mad-eye Moody took out a small flask and chugged it.

"What? You are just not going to tell anyone about this? That's completely ridiculous!" Draco felt his anger rising. This pathetic excuse of a teacher had just almost let them get eaten and he just wasn't going to say anything?

"Yes. And you better keep your mouth shut too, boy, or else I will say that the two of you had been fighting- again." Moody was now walking away, Elestra and Draco were following close behind, trying not to get lost a second time. 

"Are you black-mailing us?!" Draco was now furious.

"You best be sure it isn't anything worse..." Moody mumbled coarsely, threatening Draco indirectly. 

"My father will hear about this," Malfoy scoffed.

They were all silent the whole way back, not daring to utter a sentence. 

After they had got back to their dormitories, Elestra's legs felt numb from all the running. Her heart was beating faster than ever. What she had thought was going to be a boring, usual detention had turned much, much worse.  She collapsed on her bed, cushioning her head on the pillow, remembering his peppermint scent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------