Chapter Twenty five: Professor Slughorn's potions class

"Why are you taking potions? I thought you hated it." Nicole asked upon looking at Elestra's schedule.

"I did. I suck at potions, but since Thomas took it, my mum says it would be best if I do too," Elestra slumped down on table in the great hall where Miss McGonagall was handing out schedules. "The woman is tired and old. I thought I'd do something to satisfy her for once," She said, referring to her mother. "And that pathetic, lousy father of mine.." Elestra balled her fist into a rude gesture.

"Hey come on, don't speak ill of your parents," Nicole said sensibly.

"Parent? That guy is nothing but a pebble. He left my mother all alone with a helpless 6 year old... oh and don't even get me STARTED on Thomas's dad!" Elestra was spiteful. She would do anything to get revenge on those men who hurt her mother. Nicole just gave her a small smile, hearing her rant about these things was sort of funny.

"Wait, aren't you taking potions?" Elestra asked hopefully.

"No, sorry, not this year."

"Oh please. Don't leave me all alone."

~~~~~

"And this, can anybody tell me what this is?" Slughorn said pointing to a bright pink potion with vapour characteristically swirling out of it. 

Hermione's hand shot up, like always, "Amortentia, Sir, the strongest love potion made yet,"

Elestra had tuned out, she couldn't care less about a stupid love potion. She was still concerned about Draco. Maybe she'd done or said something wrong. Maybe it was her taking back to his father. It didn't help that he was in the same class, either. Usually, he'd sit next to her and joke occasionally help her with the things she was struggling with. But this time, he was sitting afar with a group of Slytherins. It was obvious he was ignoring her.

The potions teacher was just passing around a sample of Amortentia for everyone to spell, when it was Elestra's turn she wasn't paying attention at all.

"Elestra, here you go," Hermione, who was sitting next to her handed her the bottle. 

She awoke from her thoughts, confused. "What? What are we doing?"

Hermione rolled her eyes playfully, "Its a sample of the love potion try smelling it."

Elestra did as she was told. When she smelt it, her heart dropped. She shook her head and gulped in disbelief. She took another whiff of the potion. She knew she'd smelt it before but just couldn't think where, she handed the potion to the person beside her and decided to never think of it again.

Professor Slughorn had instructed them to make the Draught of Living Death, and whoever made it best won the small golden bottle of liquid luck. 

Elestra tried her best to make the potion, she was a bit slower than the rest of the class, but she got it eventually. She stared at the textbook blankly. It said to stir the potion clockwise until it turns pink. She'd been stirring for a whole two minutes and it was still the same current black. Perplexed, she looked over at Hermione, who's potion was almost finished. 

She felt a stirring ladle hit her head gently. She turned to see Draco. ''Stir it anti-clockwise" he said quickly and left before she could say a word. Yet Elestra was desperate, she picked up her ladle and stirred as he said. After a few seconds later, the liquid turned bright pink. Her face lit up.

Draco smiled to himself, he thought about how her grin was so priceless. He'd seen it so many times and yet it wasn't enough. He thought he could do anything to see her smile again.

Elestra turned her head to see Draco who had suddenly taken an interest in the textbook's cover. She sighed. Elestra was grateful he helped her, but she wished he'd said more. Maybe a sarcastic comment would be more like him. She'd secretly missed his stupid remarks and witty come backs, why was he ignoring her? After all they've been though? Maybe it's better this way... perhaps she should ignore him too. That's it. That's what she'll do. She'll return the favour until he gets to his senses.

"Elestra! Your potion is ON FIRE!" Hermione gasped.

"AH" She screamed and realised her ladle had fallen IN the caldron and was some how on fire. Impulsively, she grabbed it, singeing her figures and letting out a yelp. Ron, who was right next to her freaked out and drew his wand.

"A-AGUAMENTI-" the jet of water was strong and all over the place. Luckily, it extinguished the fire...but it also drenched Elestra with it. She glared at Ron, her hair dripping with water. 

"Uh, quick thinking, Ron?" Hermione mumbled to which Ron nodded awkwardly. The Slytherin table sniggered. Slughorn only then noticed this mishap and pointed his wand so that Elestra was dry all of a sudden. He choose not to speak of it and went back to speaking with one of the Ravenclaws about their parents or something. She felt so humiliated, she didn't know if she ever wanted to go back to that class again.

When class was over, Elestra was filing out of the door with the rest of the class. Harry Potter had won the liquid luck and couldn't have been more obvious. Elestra had noticed Malfoy complaining to the other Slytherins about how Harry always wins and how he always gets all the glory.

"Hey, Elestra?" Hermione uttered.

"Hm?"

"What did you smell for the potion of Amortentia?"

She thought for a moment and realised it wouldn't hurt to tell her. "Peppermint, pine trees..." she recalled, earning a sudden interest from Draco who had now subconsciously tuned into their conversation. "Oh yeah, I smelt some sort of expensive cologne and..." her eyes trailed and stopped when she realised who it was. "Green Apples." Draco's eyes lit up and his eyebrows raised in surprise. 

Elestra noticed he was listening in, "Picked up a new hobby, Malfoy? Listening to conversations that DON'T involve you? Pathetic." She snapped, clutching her book bag.   

"Elestra-" Hermione was surprised by her sudden aggression.

"Let's go Hermione, AWAY from this meddlesome brat," Elestra didn't understand why she was so ticked off, he was still ignoring her.

"He's nothing but a coward" Elestra mumbled to herself that night. The first day of her sixth year wasn't going so well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to comment your opinions! I am open to feedback!

Vote and share if you like it :D

Stay tuned~

Thanks for reading this fair! I'll be publishing a chapter every Saturday! Stay tuned :D