Chapter Twenty-Eight: Letter

Elestra picked up the note that had fallen from Draco's pocket and opened it. It was a letter. She didn't want to be nosey but she was curious. Elestra skimmed through it.

Draco,

I should not be having to write you this. It really has been a pleasure to been in this rotting prison with all these terrible dementors. I hope you know it's all your fault. I told you to keep a look out for that Potter and his pathetic minions, but like always, you refused to listen to me. You are too wrapped up in your own pride you don't understand the situation around you. How far have you gotten with the task he assigned you? You really want me to send this lousy of a boy to Durmstrang? You wouldn't last a minute. I pity myself at having a boy like you as my son. You are lazy and sloppy. You refuse to do anything right. Is it really that hard to just pay attention and do things properly?  I know you are talking to that filthy mudblood these days. Did you forget everything I have thought you? Do you not respect my teachings? Your mother and I have done so much for you and yet you return it with such rebellious and out-of-line behaviour. It should be you who should be rotting in the prison. The amount of disrespect you have shown me is disgusting. If you don't do as he says you know you will destroy everything we stand for. He will end me, you and your mother. Perhaps even that prying girl you've been so head-over heels for. All I ask of you is to complete this task properly so your mother and I could live to see another day. It shames me to have a son like you. If I could've stopped your birth I would.

Your tired father, Lucius 

Elestra was shocked. What task was he talking about? How could someone speak this way about their own son? What kind of emotional manipulation is this? Who treats their son like this? Elestra felt a throb in her heart. Draco probably had to go through this every day of her life. She just never knew. She decided that was enough and she should return the letter back to Malfoy before he found it missing. Elestra looked up and her eyes widened. It was him. Draco was standing there and watching her read it.

She fumbled with the letter and handed it back to him, "I'm sorry- I didn't mean to."

Draco sighed and took it back, shaking his head, "No, it's fine. Don't worry about it."

"No, actually, that was really rude of me-"

Draco perched himself on the bench at the side of the hallway. Elestra sat beside him awkwardly. 

"I'm sorry you had to read all that-" Draco began looking embarrassed.

Elestra looked concerned. "Hey. Don't say that. It's not your fault."

"It is...It's all my fault," Draco mumbled, and Elestra didn't think he was talking about the letter anymore.

She grabbed his shoulder and turned him towards her and looked at him with a piercing gaze. "Listen. None of what your old man said in that letter is true. NONE of this is your fault."

Draco seemed a bit startled but he sighed. "No. He's right. I am pathetic. I'm going to ruin it for my mother too. I can't do it..." He looked like he was about to cry.

Elestra stared at his hopeless expression for a second and then grabbed his face with her hands and made him looked up. "Shut up. You're wrong. You're completely wrong. You aren't pathetic. You aren't useless. I don't care what your father- or what anyone else says..." She wiped a lone tear that seeped out of his eye and hugged him. "They don't know what they are talking about. You can do anything you want."

Draco collapsed in her arms and held her tight. He was going through a lot that year and all he needed was her warmth. "Thanks a lot."

~~~~~

That Friday, Elestra was working on her astronomy assignment in the library when she was interrupted by professor Slughorn. "Ah, Ms Ellington, doing an assignment?" She nodded.

"Well, I've heard you are very good at defence against the dark arts! Your head of house tells me you got Os in all most all of your OWLS," Slughorn seemed delighted while talking to her. All most too joyous. Elestra nodded politely again, just wanting to finish of her work in peace. And yet he kept going. "So, I'm hosting a Christmas party next week for the Slugclub. I'm sure you've heard of it."

"Yeah. I have. My brother's in it. He told me all about it." Elestra brushed it off, trying to sound interested.

"Ah yes, Thomas Ellington. One of the most excellent student in his year. Very talented man I must add. He earned an internship with some famous Aurors didn't he?" Slughorn spoke admiringly.

Elestra sighed. Of course this was about her brother. Everything usually was. Her brother was so much better than her, everyone always had to shove it in her face. She was about to get up and leave when Slughorn handed her an invitation to the party.

"I want you to be a part of the club." He said with a twinkle in his eye. Elestra liked the sound of that. Glory was something she had always secretly wished for. She smiled and accepted the offer. Free good food? Who could say no!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to comment your opinions! I am open to feedback!

Vote and share if you like it :D

Stay tuned~

Thanks for reading this fair! I'll be publishing a chapter every Saturday! Stay tuned :D