Chapter Fifteen: Side Characters; Heather

Heather

It had been a long day and all my classes had tired me to the ground. Apparently, there was a Quidditch match and today, I was completely sick of it. My parents and brothers were huge fans and all they would do is talk about Quidditch. I decided to go on a walk for a while and relax a bit. I tied my hair into a pony tail and put on a scarf. 

Before I left, I was greeted by Draco who was on his way to the match with some friends. I told him I wasn't coming, and it was better if he went himself. He was a great person, but he just wasn't what I thought. I've had a crush on him since we were young. Our parents were acquaintances and every time my father would visit Mr. Malfoy for work, we'd play together. He was always so cold to me it hurt. However recently, I noticed a change in him I hadn't seen before. He was more playful. This summer, I built up all my courage to ask him out. He said yes. I was so overjoyed I couldn't believe it. Unfortunately, he wasn't the boyfriend I imagined so perfectly. He always seemed so lost in his thoughts. He didn't listen to me properly and all in all, he didn't seem to care. It hurt me but I kept playing along, hoping for change. 

"Hey, Heather!" I heard someone call. I turned to see Aaron smiling at me awkwardly, his hands filled with books stacked to almost cover his face. I jogged towards him to help him with the books. Aaron and I had always been friends. When the other Slytherins had made fun of me a year or two prior, he had always consoled me. This year, I didn't seem to hang out with him that often.  "Thanks for helping, I almost knocked them all over!" He grinned playfully, pushing his glasses up with his shoulder. He was a lean and unatheletic boy with slightly curly dark blonde hair and piercing blue eyes. He hated sport too- just like me. We had a lot in common. 

"It's no problem...I had nothing to do, anyway!" I told him, shrugging. 

 " 'surprised you aren't at that Quidditch match with...Malfoy..." He said his name sort of spitefully. 

"Aaron! We've talked about this! He isn't as bad as people make him to be!" By now we had made it to the library which was mostly empty.  

"Heather I refuse to believe you," Aaron placed the books on the counter for return, "You know about his father, don't you?"

He was right. Draco was bad. But I couldn't admit that. My father and his are friends. I like him. I like him a lot. Don't I? As we walked out of the library I stammered, "I- No- listen, You don't understand-"

He stared into my eyes before finally, muttering, "Do you...love him?" I thought the answer was clear. Of course I did. How could I not? I've always loved him. Yet, the yes that came from my mouth seemed so hesitant and forced. Aaron's eyes filled with hurt.

"Why...why are you lying to yourself?" He looked away, avoiding my gaze. 

"What- What are you talking about?!" I followed him into the empty corridor. 

"Heather, I have seen you with that guy and it's just not you..." he looked back, his voice croaking a bit.  

"What do you know about me? It's not like you should care!" he gazed into my eyes and it felt like he was reading me. 

"It's my duty to care! I want the best for you...because...because-" he hesitated and tried to collect the words in his head. 

"It's because I love you." His voice was small but it made my heart stop. "Heather Lancaster, I have always loved you and always will," My heart started beating faster and faster. I couldn't think. I also cared for him, I felt a longing to stay with him forever, I wanted him. I just never realised. 

I grasped his face suddenly and pulled him towards me, I kissed him without thinking. I felt his hands around my waist. I pulled him closer and open the door to the broom cupboard near me. We collapsed in the cupboard, tangled in each other. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to comment your opinions! I am open to feedback!

Vote and share if you like it :D

Stay tuned~