Chapter Eight: Never Talk Back to a Teacher

Snape had stopped her. He was holding a piece of parchment in his hand and look down angrily at her. "Yes? Professor?" she asked, not ready for what was about to be thrown at her. 

"Your final assignment that you handed in...you had three months to complete it..." Snape looked down.

"Yes..."

"Then WHY does your assignment look like its done in one, SINGLE night?!" This is absolutely atrocious. None of your work is neatly set out and its all messed up." Snape rambled, chewing her out entirely. She wanted to yell back so bad, she should hold it in. She could get in a lot of trouble for talking back to a teacher....but she couldn't. Her temper got the best of her. 

"Professor I assure you, I have tried my BEST when I was working on this," she huffed, gesturing toward the assignment. "And I don't think you've ever taken this into consideration but- MAYBE my work is so bad because SOMEBODY doesn't know how to teach well. MAYYYYBBEEEE my work sucks because I can't hear your voice from the back of the class. and not only that, but you also made that bratty blonde boy to stomp all over me and 'help' me- which by the way, didn't ACTUALLY do any help." she ranted, gathering the attention of some of her classmates. And only when she finished she realised the hole she just dug herself. 

"I'm glad you let your frustration out young lady," Snape mumbled trying to stay professional. Elestra knew damn well Snape wanted to avada-kadebra her off the face of the earth. "If you are really having that much trouble grasping the very simple concept I'm trying to teach, I'm sure you'll be happy to go over some textbooks by yourself tonight." Snape gave her a sinister smile.

"What? Tonight??? But it's the ba-" 

"No, no, recreational activities should never get in the way of academics and studies," Snape's eyes glistened with satisfaction. "Finish your assignment AGAIN before tomorrow or you'll fail your potions class. For the year. Oh, and I forgot to mention, if you need any help you could ask...bratty blonde boy... to help you." He spoke sarcastically leaving Elestra flabbergasted. Snape ended it there and strutted away with a swoosh of his cloak. 

Draco saw what as happening and made his way towards her when he saw the coast was clear. She looked pissed. Like really, really pissed. That was the thing about Elestra- she hardly ever got sad, she had always been short tempered and impulsive, she was usually angry. Snape had always got on her nerve for no particular reason. Maybe it was because he favoured Slytherin more and despised Gryffindor. But it's not like she could complain...their own headmaster was bias of the houses. 

Elestra crossed her arm and sulked. Draco reached her and she glanced at him and went back to sulking. "Bratty blonde boy, aye?" He asked sarcastically. 

"Shut up," Elestra mumbled. Malfoy felt pitiful of her and he didn't want to make her upset. Draco was disappointed she couldn't go with him now. She was embarrassed, she had just gotten yelled at infront of all her classmates. "Find another partner, I didn't want to go with you anyway!" she shot at Malfoy and went to her class.

~~~

It was around 8 and Elestra was in the library doing her assignment. She felt so miserable and pathetic. Why did she have to be the way she was? Elestra was so mad at herself. She should be out there, at the great hall having fun with her friends and listening to some indie wizard band. The yule ball was a once in a lifetime opportunity event and she even had her dress ready...but noooOOooo, she just HAD to mess it up by talking back to the most ruthless teacher at Hogwarts. She really just should've seen it coming. Elestra could hardly understand what was going on when she was doing her assignment. 

Back home, her mum usually made her study normal muggle stuff as she wanted her to get a muggle job. Chemistry was still hard to understand even then. None of it made sense. Stupid Ions and electrons made her mind twist; add some more confusing magic and explosions and boom(literally) its even more confusing!

She had almost fell asleep when she heard footsteps. Elestra jerked her head up. It was Malfoy in his dress robes. He pulled a chair back and sat down in front of her. She tilted her head confused. 

"The ball was boring." he said quickly, looking down at her scattered notes and books. He pointed at something she had wrote down, "Poly juice potions actually don't do that," 

"Huh? And what do you know?" she asked, still salty about not being able to go. 

"More than you do." He took a quill and underlined something in her notes. "Here, this will help you remember better... oh yeah and note this down for your essay,"

Elestra perked up and payed attention to what he was saying. She continued on her assignment and listened to him and tried to grasp the concept. He got some parchment and helped her with her work. His voice was soft and easy to listen to. Since he had almost finished, it took them a little over an hour to finish off. Elestra stretched her arms and let out a tired breath, looking out at the finished product.

"We did it!" She exclaimed, grinning at Malfoy who seemed satisfied. He was resting his chin on his hand and gazed at her celebrating like a kid. He thought it was kind of cute.  

She got up and gathered her notes together. "Let's go, Malfoy! We still have time to go to the ball!" He woke up from his thoughts and stood up, picking up some of the books.

"It's fine, I'll put them back, you two go!" Mrs Pince the librarian chirped, she was very impressed by how Draco had given up his time to help Elestra go to the ball.

Elestra grabbed Draco's arm and led him to the Gryffindor common room. "Wait here," she said upon entering. She scurried into her dorm as Draco looked around the common room. It was the first time he came to the Gryffindor room and it was pretty cool. It was a lot brighter than the Slytherin common room which was sort of unfair, but he didn't think much of it. 

That's when Elestra came out of the girls dormitory in a black dress. The dress was floral-laced on top and had a black and white flowy terrain. She had just let her hair down and brushed it a couple of times. Malfoy's heart skipped a beat when she flashed him a confident smile. Draco was gaping at her, flushing red as she cheerfully sauntered towards him.

 Draco was gaping at her, flushing red as she cheerfully sauntered towards him

"Do you like it?" She looked down at her terrain which was flowing all pretty. "Look, it even twirls!" She spun around childishly. Draco was speechless and awkward.

"What are you gawking at?" She asked when she noticed him staring. 

He stumbled on his words, "Uhm- sorry- uh we should go..."

Elestra nodded and followed him out to the great hall.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much for reading!

Please share and vote if you enjoy the story!

Stay tuned!