Vipertooth

Two and a half months of nothing occurs after the group of nine set up their camp in the Andes. Every day, Florin leads his students up one of the many mountain passes all around them, Isabelle getting rather sweaty and immediately tired when she hikes up along with the rest of her peers.

After a month of looking and finding absolutely nothing, they move their campsite to about fifty kilometres further along into the depths of the mountains. That month, surprise, surprise, resulted in shit all, so they moved their campsite once more.

And now, two weeks into this third campsite, it's clear everyone's becoming extremely annoyed and short-tempered. Fair enough, Isabelle thinks. After all, they've been stuck with each other for the past seven and a half months nonstop, and they haven't found so much as a single trace of a Peruvian Vipertooth for almost three months now.

As if to demonstrate just how much everyone's tempers are flaring, Christopher and Luca, who usually get along really well, got into a massive fight. At first, Florin tried half-heartedly to stop it, but he gave up soon after, deciding they were both adults and can take care of themselves.

Isabelle sat around with the other six, just watching the fight, sometimes encouraging the two of them along. It was their first bit of entertainment in months, after all. A welcome change to the constant moping around camp, and aching feet from all the walking they've had to do so far.

Christopher ended up victorious, which was no surprise to any of them, really, as he's pretty much pure muscle, but Luca did manage to get a couple of hits in, breaking Christopher's nose. Elena had to patch him up afterwards, along with Luca, who had several fractured ribs and bruises all over his body.

The two of them naturally didn't speak to each other for the next week, which was fairly difficult, as they share a tent, and everyone else refused to swap out with them.

Isabelle found herself getting increasingly annoyed with Elena, too, which surprised her greatly, as she's never thought ill of the dark-haired girl before. She didn't necessarily have a reason for it, but she supposes it was because the two of them had been around each other constantly for almost the past eight months with no break. Well, she'd been around everyone nonstop, she supposes, but she slept in the same tent as Elena and usually walked with her and just never had a break from her, like she usually would with the boys.

She had a feeling Elena was becoming annoyed at her, as well, so the two girls sat themselves down and bitched and yelled at each other about how awful the other was for a moment, until they both calmed down with that out of their system, and decided they both still liked each other but just needed to have some space. So, for the next week, they walked and hung out with different boys each day, and only really saw each other in the tent at nighttime; soon enough, their negative feelings towards the other dissipated.

In fact, Isabelle's walking with Elena at the moment, following along after Florin as he leads them up and around a new mountain, his eight students paired up behind him. In an attempt to keep themselves entertained, the two girls played a number of games as they walked, trying to guess what each other was seeing, and counting their steps as they went.

They quickly grew bored of that, however, and now they've fallen into silence again. So have all the boys, in fact. The only thing Isabelle can hear as they continue are everyone's heavy breathing and shuffling feet, and the occasional distant noise of some animal.

And because of this repetition, because they've been walking the same way for kilometre after kilometre with nothing happening, Isabelle doesn't realise what's going on until Elena screams. Her own eyes widen and her wand's immediately in her hand, as she grabs Elena and pulls the dark-haired girl behind her.