Vienna

Isabelle stares, her mouth dropping open in shock and horror.

Vienna was a place that she's always wanted to visit, because of its legendary homeland to many famous Muggle musicians, such as Beethoven and Mozart, along with the many imperial palaces, both historic and modern. But the Vienna Isabelle knew from photographs and stories is completely unrecognisable.

Looking down upon the smouldering city, at the imperial palaces that have been burnt to the ground, at the people screaming through the streets, their hair or clothing still alight, Isabelle almost gags at the horrendous sight this once beautiful city has come to. People closest to the Danube River are flailing in agony and terror as they flee towards it, submerging themselves entirely without so much as a hesitation.

Aurors and Ministry Officials are already here, of course, trying to put fires out and get people evacuated safely, healing what wounds they can in the brief amount of time before they have before putting up massive Shield Charms to stop people from getting crushed. But all their effort and all their help barely has any affect at all.

Even now, buildings crumple all around them, crushing screaming children, toppling the structures next to them over, and over, and over, like some sick game of dominos. Isabelle stares as a little girl, no older than four, cries and sobs at her toy in front of her, the once cute teddy bear now a flaming mess of charred fur and melting eyes.

As though it's happening in slow motion, Isabelle's eyes catch sight of the domino effect continuing, the last building to fall heading straight for the little girl. She can't help herself — she lurches into action, despite Sebastian's warning shout, sprinting as hard as she can for the little girl, who's just noticed the building falling for her, and lets out fresh screams and wails of terror.

Isabelle gets to the little brown-haired girl just in time, wrapping her arms around her tiny figure and shielding her body with her own, as the building collapses all around them. The girl still screams and sobs, but Isabelle slowly lets go of her, and the girl looks up in soft wonder at the Shield Charm Isabelle produced wandlessly, her cries lessening as she stares up at the silvery substance, where the bricks and stones are simply sliding off harmlessly.

"It is ok," Isabelle says breathlessly, and the little girl looks up at her, her brown doe eyes fearful. "I 'ave got you — you are safe now."

As Isabelle looks down at the little girl, she knows that she has no idea what she's saying, but the girl seems to gather that Isabelle saved her, or that Isabelle is safe, and lets out another cry, rushing forwards to cling to the French girl.

"Tu es en sécurité maintenant," Isabelle tries in French, to see if the girl understands, but she gets no response, other than for the little girl to clutch Isabelle more tightly.

When the danger from the falling building has passed, Isabelle gets rid of the Shield Charm and stands up, holding the little girl on her hip with her tiny arms wrapped around Isabelle's neck, and starts to make her way back to Seb, Jack and Grayson, who have all rushed over in their worry.

"Thank fuck," Seb murmurs, his shoulders sinking a foot in relief.

"Are you both alright?" Jack asks, his eyes brimming with concern, taking a step forwards.

"Oui, I think so," Isabelle replies. "She does not understand me, though, but does not seem to want to let go."

"Well, you have to," Grayson speaks, his voice gruff, but his eyes still extremely worried. "We have to keep moving."

"You cannot be serious!" Isabelle exclaims, aghast. "Look around — we cannot leave these people 'ere to die!"

"Aurors and the Ministry are here helping them out," Grayson says firmly. "I know it's hard, but our job isn't to help these people. It's to get this dragon, before it demolishes another city or village full of innocent people."