Thestrals

"Good morning, class!" Professor Sprout's loud voice booms around the greenhouse after breakfast in the Great Hall.

"Good morning, Professor Sprout!" the class echoes back.

Isabelle stands with Tonks, Olivia and Isaac as per usual, Tonk's arm wrapped casually around her shoulders. The Metamorphagus sports straight, spiky, deep red hair, and has shaped her lips more into hearts than they normally are. Isabelle quite likes the new look.

"Welcome back from your holidays!" Professor Sprout continues, beaming around at her students. "It's the start of a new term now, and we only have one more plant to cover before you formally begin your studying for your Herbology NEWT."

Isabelle breathes in deeply. Even though she only has two NEWTs to complete, and everyone else has way more, and even though she technically doesn't need to complete her NEWTs for her desired career, as her OWLs are enough, she still wants to do her best, and is already incredibly nervous.

"So, our final plant we are looking at this year is Moly. Who can tell me what they know— Olivia! Go ahead," Professor Sprout smiles, gesturing to the brown-haired girl as usual.

"Moly is a powerful plant that can be eaten to counteract enchantments, and is easily recognised by their distinctive black stems and white flowers," she says, smiling shyly at Isaac as she finishes.

"That's correct! Take five points for Ravenclaw," Professor Sprout says. "Is there anything she— Isaac, of course!"

"Moly is also used as a potion ingredient, such as in the brewing of the Wiggenweld Potion," the freckled boy says, flashing a grin at Olivia.

"It is indeed! Five points to Hufflepuff!" Professor Sprout says. "Now, everyone take out your quills and we'll take notes this lesson before we begin to take a proper look at this plant..."

The lesson continues like that until the bell rings, and Isabelle waves goodbye to her three Herbology friends, before slinging her bag over her shoulder and heading down towards the Forest for her next class.

Charlie's there when she arrives and he grins as she comes to stand by his side, smiling up at him.

"Welcome back, class, welcome back!" Professor Kettleburn's voice emerges from the trees a second before he does, hobbling happily towards his four students.

"Today we will be beginning on our final creature for this year, and as it turns out, all your schooling here at Hogwarts!" their teacher continues, seemingly even more excited than usual.

"It's one of my favourite creatures that we cover, which is of course why I saved it for last. The Thestral!" Professor Kettleburn declares.

Isabelle's eyes widen. She was wondering if they'd get to learn about Thestrals this year.

"Now, as Thestrals are rather famous creatures, I figured each of you must know at least something about them, and I would therefore like to hear from each of you this lesson, not just Thomas," Professor Kettleburn says, smiling cheekily around at his students.

"So!" he says, clasping his hands together, "Who would like to go first? Thomas, why don't you start us off?"

"The Thestral is a breed of winged horse with a skeletal body, face with reptilian features, and wide, leathery wings that resemble a bat's. They are native to the British Isles and Ireland, though I believe they have been spotted in parts of France and the Iberian Peninsula. They are very rare, and considered dangerous by the Ministry of Magic. They are carnivorous animals and I've also heard that they are lured by the scent of blood," the blond boy says, winking at Isabelle.