Chapter 42

Matt's POV: Once we were almost done making Christmas lunch, I came upstairs to get Gabby. I didn't know whether she was just resting or if she was asleep but regardless...it was time for her to both come downstairs to eat and to see our niece and nephew. Anyways, she's been resting for an hour so I am sure that she is good now. Walking into the master bedroom, I saw Gabby laying down in her mom's bed with her pants on the end of the bed. I smiled when I saw that and then moved to sit down next to her on the bed. Putting my hand on her stomach, I smiled.

That's when Gabby woke up. She must've felt me sit down or put my hand on her stomach because it was pretty soon after I did that. "Did you sleep at all?" Gabby shook her head. "No, this bed is not as comfortable as ours and I didn't have my comfortable pillow." I smiled when she said that and then moved to kiss her softly. "I already talked to your mom and Antonio. They said they'll understand if you need to go home after lunch. Anyways, we were up late last night." Gabby smiled when I said that and nodded. "When we go home...just cuddling please."

I nodded and agreed with her. "Of course. You deserve rest after all of the travelling you have done over the past 2 days. Believe me when I say this Gabby but, you are going to need it a lot over the next couple months. It's why I am glad that I am not working until the new year. I am going to be able to take care of you as much as possible. Anyways, we have a lot to do now that you are moving back. We need to get back into a joint bank account. You got off it in case I ever had to make big purchases on the card without having to contact you." Gabby smiled.

Gabby nodded when I said that. "Not that I would've said no to you buying stuff. I would've wanted you to buy stuff to keep you occupied. I mean, I was out of the country." I smiled when she said that. "But not anymore. Now, you are home where you belong. I mean, not that you don't belong in Puerto Rico too...you did a great job. It's just...I like having my wife here in my arms." Gabby smiled when I said that before going to put her hand on my neck. Kissing me softly, she just looked at me. "Shut up and remember that I love you." I smiled at that.

Gabby then rubbed my cheek as she went to lean her forehead against mine. "When we are home, I just want to hold each other in bed okay? I know that's not much but...it's what I want to do. I have missed you and I just want to have you hold me in your arms." I nodded and agreed. "Hey, tell me the truth now. Everything okay Gabby?" Gabby sighed when I asked her that. "I guess I am just worried again. I keep thinking about what that doctor said." I nodded and agreed with her. "Gabby look at me okay and listen to me."

Gabby nodded as she looked at me. "You are Gabby Dawson. You are one of the toughest, strongest and bravest women I know. I am not saying that as your husband...I am saying that as a fellow first responder. Babe, whenever those bells go off...you don't hesitate to get in your ambo and drive off to whatever the call is. You do it calmly and without effort. If you can do that so easily...then I am positive that you are going to do this just as well." Gabby smiled when I said that before going to hug me. "I am just scared."

I nodded and understood as I held her close. "I know, this is scary. Every pregnancy is a risk but yours is even more of a risk but Gabby...you are going to thrive at it because you are my girl and my girl doesn't quit when stuff gets hard. You graduated the fire academy while having some of the most sexist teachers. Gabby, you are going to get through this...we are going to get through this together. I promise." Gabby smiled when I said that, really starting to relax more. "Now listen, let's go eat and then we can go home okay?" Gabby nodded when I said that before going to get up.

Grabbing her pants, I went to give them to her and then smiled at her as she went to put them on. Stepping close to her, I went to do them up and then smiled as I put my hands on her hips. Bending down to kiss her, I just smiled while holding her close. "I love you and I promise...this is not a mistake. We are going to be parents in 8 months." Gabby smiled when I said that and nodded as she went to grab my hand, intertwining our fingers as I went to lead her downstairs so that we could eat lunch with her family.