Chapter Eight

Nona's point of view:

Leyla looked weary during our meeting with the royal family, but I could not quite put my finger on it. There was tension building in her shoulders and between her eyes; I could see the crease on her forehead. I worried about my child for she was my gift that kept me living all these years. As Leyla asked to be excused, I could feel that she needed rest. I could see the King's concern for her as he requested his son to escort her home, which I was thankful for as the King had requested my advice on some matters in the Kingdom and I was worried for Leyla's safety. 

As the Prince and Leyla left, the Queen was still sitting on the chair swirling her whisky. She appeared to be staring into nothingness. The Queen was someone I was weary of, I did not know why nor did I have any solid reasons for my weariness. There was just something, off about her. 

When I think of a Luna's characteristics of being motherly, warm, kind, gracious and loving; I never thought these matched the characteristics of the Queen. Although she was smart and cunning, I never saw her display tenderly affection to pack members. I always thought the Goddess' pairing between the two were odd. It was never my intention to question the moon goddess' decision so I always prayed for forgiveness for questioning her abilities and choices as she must have seen something in Queen Lamia that I did not. 

"Well Nona, I believe I am going to retire for the evening." Queen Lamia said, shaking me out of my thoughts. She got up from her chair and she swayed her hips, her body language oozed confidence and her hair swung to the rhythm of her body as she made her way to the King. She lightly pecked him on the lips. "Goodnight my love, I look forward to seeing you in bed." She said in a sultry voice. 

"Goodnight, I won't be long Lamia." He said as he was sat in the singular chair. Lamia strolled out of the room and he waited until she left. "Nona would you mind coming to my office so we can further our discussion." He said. "I seek... advice and guidance from an elder." He sighed. I smiled and nodded my head. Following him to his office. 

King Alexander was a good man, a good mate, a good father and an excellent ruler. I had known Alexander since he was a babe. I first moved to the royal pack after finding my mate was a Gamma, the head of the warriors. His parents doted on him, they loved him dearly and taught him the old ways. It is my belief they taught him well and gave him the knowledge of how to rule a kingdom successfully. His mother died before his wedding to the Queen, something that she had planned and dreamed of seeing. His mother had always discussed with me her dreams of seeing her child being married and then being crowned King. 

I remembered lunches with the Queen. At first, I was so scared to be in her presence, there was always this sense that I was not good enough to be the mate of a Gamma. I remember my mate laughing at me saying I had nothing to worry about as she was excited to meet. I remember my first steps towards the red brick pack house when the doors swung open and a little woman became prancing out; she had no shoes on and was dressed in a royal blue summer dress. She reminded me of a pixie as she came running towards me and flung her arms over my shoulders and pulled me close to her in a death grip. I honestly thought she was going to kill me, but she hugged me. 

I embraced that hug and held her tightly and I remember her first words: "I am so happy you are here, I can tell that we are going to be the best of friends."

That was the start of my beautiful friendship, we shopped together, we cooked together, we laughed together. We were inseparable, I remember our mates teasing and joking saying that the amount of time we spent together anyone would think they were mates. We would laugh at them and I would always remember my mate, pulling me to his side and he would give me a chaste kiss to the forehead.