Chapter Forty

King Alexander's Point Of View

The morning after the dreaded engagement party. My head ached as I sat in the meeting room with my family. My wife was spitting and spewing last night, she couldn't help but be angered by what Leyla had done. She questioned my leadership for allowing a 'hussy' like her to be considered a lady in waiting. 

My wife, my queen was nothing but a ball of rage. I had always tried to keep Ryan from his mother's tantrums. Her anger was always a big issue. I always wondered why the Moon Goddess paired me with someone who held so much jealously and resentment in her heart. I could never fault her a mother, she doted on Ryan and loved him dearly. I just hoped that she showed this to the people that she ruled. 

Instead, she was cold and aloof. She distanced herself from the Omegas, she made them more submissive. The warriors trained harder and they guarded our home rigidly. She insisted it was for the safety of her family and when she presented her arguments I agreed. We were at risk because we were of Royal blood. The Royal Quarters were always riddled with guards, the Omega's never let us lift a finger in work. She run this place with an iron fist, that I had to wonder where her compassion was. 

Lamia, Elisha and Ryan were sat around the table. Elisha's cheeks were puffy and red, I could see the tear stains from last night. She was sat in her chair, her body facing away from Ryan. She was pouting but I could see the anger that simmered in her eyes. Lamia on the other hand looked in order, she looked determined. I knew from her eyes she had a plan and I knew I wouldn't like it. 

Ryan, my son on the other hand looked tired. His once happy and carefree face was riddled with dark circles under his eyes. He had not shaved and looked unkempt and troubled. I was worried about my son. I couldn't understand what led him to do what he did with Leyla. It didn't make sense, when one found their mate they were besotted with the bond. So why did I question his pairing with Elisha? Could Leyla truly be my son's mate? Would he lie to me to cover up his mistake?

"Ryan, what were you doing cheating on your mate?" I asked calmly. I wanted to ensure he had a safe environment to speak the truth. I wanted him to be honest.

Ryan flinched at my words but he made eye contact with his mother and Elisha. Lamia just looked at him and raised an eyebrow. I hoped he would say something that would help us make sense of this situation. He opened his mouth to say something but he quickly closed it and hung his head. 

"I can't believe we allowed that little slut into our home. I am standing by what I said Alexander she needs to punished. She has broken our sacred laws. It is against the Moon Goddess' will to tamper with a mating bond!" She screeched. I could tell this wasn't about what Leyla had done, but it was about the humiliation she was facing. My wife could never stand shame, she had a bigger ego than me. 

"..She has done nothing but shame our future Queen Alexander!" She screeched again.

"Enough Lamia. You are giving me a headache." I said as I rubbed my temples. "Leyla was not the only one in this situations, remember Lamia. Ryan would also meet the threshold for breaking laws. Especially since he was the one that found his mate." I explained calmly, knowing full well she wouldn't like to hear the truth that was right in front of her. 

"Alexander! You can not blame our son-" 

"Lamia! Enough, it takes two to tango. He made the choice to cheat on his mate. It was not Leyla who cheated on hers." I explained. 

"This is your fault! You had poor judgement on that girl! You always had a soft spot for her. How could you make that pathetic girl an advisor! She is already causing chaos in the Kingdom!" Lamia exasperated.