Chapter Nine

Leyla's point of view

I felt  light trickle into the room, I groaned. My head felt hazy and as I tried to pry my eyes open, I felt a heaviness to them. I sighed thinking about my weird dream. 

That was not a dream Layla. Amira chuckled to her. 

What are you talking about Amira, of course it was a dream. God knows why I was dreaming of the moon goddess last night. I retorted to Amira. 

Feel along your neck Leyla, and then tell me you were dreaming. She sassed back to me. 

I laughed internally and then felt along my neck and gasped as the cold metal braced my warm skin. I shuffled my fingers along the necklace when I felt the pendant from my dream. I felt my stomach sink, trying to pass yesterday as some kind of joke and trying to forget my sad excuse for a mate. I groaned as I removed my fingers from the pendant and covered my face. This really has got to be some type of joke. 

Leyla, shut up and accept it. That dream was real and we have things that we need to do and work out. You heard the moon goddess, she needs us and it is our duty to do this. Amira huffed. Goddess, she was very impatient this morning. 

I thought back to the dream which confirmed that Ryan was indeed my mate. I sighed and felt my heart ache for a moment. It appeared to be a lot easier to deal with this morning, the pain from Ryan's words felt more like an ache. I didn't feel myself drown with darkness, even Amira was a lot calmer this morning. She was no longer whining and pining but she had this strength about her, she appeared determined. It was almost like she was a different wolf. I wonder if Selene switched her. 

You wish. Amira said. I smiled inwardly thinking how sassy is she is now. She knows I could never wish for another wolf. Amira simply chuckled at my thoughts. 

I thought back to what Selene said about what is needing to be done when I heard a knock on the door. I grasped the blanket covers pulling them over me so that the pendant was covered. I was also in last night's clothes and I knew Nona would either scold or worry about me which is something that I could not allow. 

"Come in" I coughed. 

The door was gently pushed open and Nona strode in the bedroom. I could see that her eyes were weary and she was worried about my health. I was never a sick child so for me to excuse myself at dinner yesterday was unusual. I know Nona's fears, she was scared to lose me, she was scared to be on her own, she was scared because of her mate. 

"How are you my child?" She asked, she reached out and ran the back of her hand along my forehead. Her hands were warm and tender. There was such a loving affection to this action. 

"Nona, I am feeling better. A little tired but better." I closed my eyes, hoping for tears not to spill or well. I hoped she would not recognise my pain. Nona always had this sixth sense about her. She was always able to anticipate my hurt. I wondered if this is what a mother felt for their pup. 

"Okay my child." She said. "I received news from the royal guard and the King has requested my advice and counsel outside of the Royal Pack. He has asked me to go on a visit with him which I am unable to decline." She stood there stroking my hair gently, she almost looked like she was contemplating her decision to leave. 

"It is fine Nona, the Kingdom needs you. Don't stop your duties because you are worried I am sick. Honestly Nona I will be back to normal by the time you are back. I will be right back to making a mess in your kitchen in no time, driving you up the wall before you know it" I teased. Nona was hesitating, she was frowning. I could tell something was on her mind. "What is worrying you?"