Chapter Twelve

Leyla's Point of View

Nona was grasping my arm as we approached the pack house. The morning air was crisp and chilled. The morning dew glistened on the trees that were surrounding the pack. Amira was filled with a new found confidence that was seeping into my pores. I felt her strength and determination pour into me as we approached the Royal Quarters. 

I could still feel Nona's unease and I wanted to relieve her of her worries but at the same time I was fearful of revealing too much too her and she would be able to see through my facade. Nona was an intelligent woman and she had this innate ability to see through people's misgivings and sense when danger was approaching. She could never provide the specifics but she could always sense when something was coming, she told me that her wolf always called it her third eye. 

As we approached the Royal Quarters, there were many high ranking officials present. The Royal family were front and centre all with smiles on their faces. Nona explained the process while we made her journey and she expressed that this had been a formality that occurred so that it was clear to the officials who would be responsible during the King's absence. 

Behind the Royal family was Beta Marcus Monroe, he was the Queen's twin brother. Nona explained that when Marcus found out the Queen was moving to become the Queen he was irreconcilable and could not bare the thought from being away from his sister. The King wanted to ensure her happiness so decided that he would make him Beta as he trusted him to keep his sister safe. The Queen would often be seen with her brother wondering across the pack grounds. They always appeared to be happy in each other's company. 

Beta Marcus was tall and muscular, but his features were identical to the Queen. Blonde hair, blue eyes with tanned olive skin. He had inherited the beauty from the Monroe bloodline. I had never had much interaction with the Beta but when I saw him at the Guard Quarters he would often have an expressionless face, his eyes would always appear cold and empty. Nona always appeared cautious of him and expressed that he does not have strong ties or relationships with other members of the pack, and although he does not say much she expressed that when he does speak it is with extreme intelligence and strategy. 

Beside Meta Marcus stood Gamma Raymond Duposé and his mate Sarah Duposé. Gamma Raymond was very kind and active within the Royal Pack, he would often be seen playing with pups on the grounds and helping at the hospital. Nona often expressed her fondness for Gamma Raymond. She said he was always approachable and well mannered and was an excellent Gamma to the King's Guards. 

He had a french accent and jet black hair that was swept to the side. He had this sophistication about him and I recalled many she-wolfs at the pack talking of how handsome and desirable he was. Out of all the officials, Gamma Raymond who I interacted with most. Even though my interactions with him had been minimal he was always very pleasant.

His mate Sarah was a kind she-wolf who Nona loved to speak to, she expressed that she had interesting views and revolutionary ideas that could truly push the Kingdom into the twenty-first century. She was immaculately dressed in a long red wrap dress that complimented her figure which subtly showed her assets. 

As we approached the officials I bowed my head as a sign of respect and formality to the Royal family while Nona rubbed my arm gently. She too bowed her head and waited for the King's instructions. 

"Welcome Nona and Leyla." The King said loudly with a smile on his face as he approached us. 

He looked at Nona as we broke apart. He went up to her, almost as if he was going to hug her. He whispered something in her ear. It was too quiet for me to hear but I could see Nona nod her head subtly. The King then turned to be with a wide smile and pulled me in for a hug and kissed my forehead lightly.