Chapter Twenty Seven

Leyla's Point of View

The rest of the week had gone and I could feel my anxiety heighten further. I had minimal interactions with Ryan and the Queen was busy preparing for the return of the King. The staff of the Royal were all very busy. Omegas were hustling through the hallways dusting and scrubbing the floors. I felt sorry for them, they had huge dark circles under their eyes, their skin was a sickly pale colour. My heart yearned for the people who were neglecting their own health to serve people that didn't appreciate their hard work. 

I could hear the whispers in the Royal Quarters that a special guest was being escorted by the King. No one had dare say the name but deep in my mind I already knew who it was. It was Lady Elisha. The future Queen of the Kingdom. I could tell that Queen Lamia was excited, she had an extra pep in her step for the arrival of the 'mate' of her son. I scoffed at the idea of her being the Queen Luna. 

I met with the Queen yesterday and for the first time I wanted to inflict violence onto someone. I couldn't tell if she knew I was her son's true mate but I swear she could see through my facade and she could feel my pain. The one thing that bothered me most was that she appeared to enjoy and bask in my sadness. When she was going through my roles and responsibilities I could feel her challenging me, I could see the gleam in her eyes at me wanting to fail her measly quiz. 

However, me and Amira laughed when we passed with flying colours. I could see the tick in her jaw when I answered every question right. There was no room for error, for I wanted to prove to this woman that despite her ill-beliefs, I was a capable and intelligent wolf. I just didn't have the opportunities that other high ranking wolves had because I lost my parents to a sickness. 

I don't know why but I never thought about my parents, for I knew they loved me from what Nona told me. She explained that they were pack warriors who used to patrol the boarders. She told me they told me my father killed from a wild boar attack on a hunt and my mother died giving birth to me. Although I loved my parents, I was content with the affection and care that Nona had given me. 

I would at times wonder what life would have been like if they lived? They crossed my mind more and more in recent times when thinking about my mate. Would he have accepted me because I wasn't an orphan? I scoffed, of course not he hated my very existence and avoided me at all costs. I just couldn't understand why. 

Amira was adamant that someone was tampering with the mate bond, that something was truly blocking him from fully experiencing the mate bond. However, as time went on I started to doubt her words because I had witnessed mates meeting and they just could not stay away from each other. There was always this incandescent need to always touch and be in the proximity of their mate. 

I knew from my conversation with Nona at the cottage something was unsettling her. Her calm demeanour disappeared. She was worried and riddled with anxiety. I knew she didn't want to be away from me but equally I knew that she was doing her duty as an elder to the pack. I knew from our bond that she could sense imminent danger. 

Amira could do nothing but agree, especially after seeing the two wolves in the infirmary who were riddled with sickness. We had spent the rest of our stay volunteering and closely monitoring their progress, however nothing had improved for the two wolves. Their families would visit but would never stay too long due to their own responsibilities in the pack. They were just left alone, sweating away in a fever that saw no sight of disappearing.  

I was laying on my bed thinking of a way to get out of my new role as a lady in waiting for I knew I could not be that close to the new Queen, the one who was posing as a fake mate. I had never met her but I already hated her presence. I knew Amira wouldn't be able to handle the intimacy between the two and she would all but rip out Elisha's throat. That would only cause more problems for me as we would be labelled a murderer and would most likely be executed for treason.