Chapter Twenty One

Nona's Point Of View

I sped through the green thick forestry on my pores. The early morning dew licked my paws as the warm sunlight tickled through the shrubbery. My wolf was on edge last night, she senses danger and she warned me of the difficult times a head. My wolf's appearance was nothing spectacular but I had always been of the belief to never judge a book by it's pretty cover. My wolf had this ability to sense danger, it was a third eye. 

My family came from a very old bloodline of wolfs who had evidenced unique abilities. I remember my grandma sitting at the kitchen table telling me that I was special. She would tell me the stories of our ancestors, who were strong powerful women that had wolves that were blessed by the goddess. She would rub my back softly, telling me that I would become one of those women. I remember being excited about being one of these strong women in her stories but then her lips pursed into a fine line as she explained that these gifts would come with cost. 

When I received my ability, I counted it as a blessing. I offered warnings of danger to those I loved, I shared knowledge of upcoming battles, I was able to protect those I cared for. It wasn't something I shared openly as grandma would always tell me that if it was common knowledge, danger would follow. 

For years I went through life with this security blanket that I would never have to see someone I love harmed or killed. I was able to offer warnings to my pack when I could sense danger thanks to my wolf. Although the warnings were evasive, they were enough to keep people safe. It wasn't until I lost my mate that the gap in my sight developed. My mate died of a fever that consumed in him in the night. He died in my arms and it was that moment that I thought back to my grandmother's words about the price of my gift. 

I was selfish in wishing my gift away for it had felt like a curse as I lost the most precious thing in my life. It was why I would curse the goddess for being so cruel. For I had saved many lives but I had lost the one that I had deeply treasured. During this time, I was distant and cold. It was then that me and my wolf blocked the gift of sight for it was not worth its price. It was during this time, that I was unable to sense the evil that was creeping in my pack. I was not able to foresee the death of my best friend. My wolf howled at the memories of our late Queen. We both felt like we failed the kingdom. An overwhelming sense of guilt filled my chest. 

My wolf's pain was still apparent as I approached the Nightingale main house where me and the King were currently residing. The pack was in the mainland of our country. It's temperatures were generally hot and the air was always moist. It was here where there were lots of forests and wildlife. A lot of our herbs for medicines were sourced in this territory. It was known for its' healing properties. A lot of our documents from historians believe that this was where the moon goddess was first sighted. It was believed that it was hear that she heard the cries of her children and she sung to them the song of the nightingale that had created the first mates of wolves. It was where there territory name had derived from. 

Myself and the King had been in the territory for a couple of days and while Alexander spoke to the higher ranks of the pack. I investigated on a lower level. I was able intercept the unranked wolfs while the King conducted his interviews. My wolf found that there was something unsettling about the place. Although she had been able to elaborate on the finer details or what the reason was for the discord, she sensed that there was an imbalance in the pack.

My bones cracked as I shifted from my wolf to my human. I was meeting Alexander this morning to explore his findings so I needed to prepare for the day. I made my way to the grey bricked house and pushed off the front door. The pack house was empty this morning and it was a nice change from the pretentious environment at the Royal palace, where guards littered the halls, concrete smothered the forest floor. There was a sense of informality in this pack that did allow me to relax.