Chapter Eighteen

Amira's Point of View

What the hell are you playing at Amira. Leyla screeches in my head. 

I'm internally smirking at Leyla in the back of my mind while I see Ryans' drain of colour. He looks pasty and pale as he contemplates what I have revealed to him. I can feel Leyla's anxiety push to the surface not liking that I have dropped on a bomb on him. I understand she does not want to throw him into the deep end but we do not have time for beating around the bush. I can sense something big on the horizon but I do not know whether it is good or bad. 

I have my theories about Ryan and why the mate bond is almost non-existent to him, but I am forbidden from speaking or thinking about it. Should Leyla find out from me, there would be consequences that I refuse to let her pay. I am hoping that she is able to seek answers herself. However, I needed Ryan to confirm my suspicions. 

"Mates?" He whispered. There was a questioning tone lingering in the air. 

The blank expression on his face disappeared. His face showing a million and one expressions - shock, hurt and then disappointment. The human was strong but during this time not once did his eyes darken and open the gateway to my Reggie. 

"Yes Ryan. Mates." I sighed and sat upright while I was perched on the table. I lifted my hand and gently ran my fingertips along his arm igniting the sparks that danced across my skin. "Do you feel my touch linger on your skin? Do you feel the flames burn across your body? Does it spark your desire when I run my fingers across your body? When your wandering gaze locks onto me? We are entwined." I hummed. 

He refused to meet my eyes, so I lifted my index finger to his chin. Pushing his head up, my gaze locks on to his and for the first time I feel the warmth in those chocolate orbs. The ice daggers disappear and it is at that moment that heart thumps and I feel this overwhelming sensation to stare into his eyes for the rest of my life. 

Reginald, come to me, please. I need you. I whispered through to Ryan's mind, searching for the essence of my mate. 

"Mates?" He whispered again. Again his gaze turns cold and calculating. "You my mate?" The words he spat out. He looked disgusted, almost like the word mate and me in the same sentence was a poison. "You are delusional if you think you are my mate Amira. I told you Elisha was my mate, I feel nothing for you."

I laughed at him. I knew it was this or cry but I knew it was not Reginald speaking. Where was Reginald? I knew he would not allow him to speak these words, but he confirmed my theory and it was time to push for those answers that I so desperately sought. 

"Oh Ryan, I'm delusional? You are mistaken, you human may not think I am your mate, but your wolf. Oh he knows he is mine. So tell me, where is your wolf? Where is my Reginald?" I smirked, I trailed my finger on his arm. My nail grazing his skin, again the hairs stood to attention like little soldiers listening to their sergeant. 

"That is none of your business!" He spat, breaking his eye contact he turned his head away from my direction. 

"Ahh, hit a sore spot did I?" I tutted. "Are you scared little Prince to let the beast out for you to be wrong?" I sung the words tauntingly. 

"I am not scared! I just know I would not be paired with a social climbing whore!" He shouted as his face was red with anger. 

My strong facade almost slipped due to the pure shock of his words. Whore? He thinks I am a whore? He thinks Leyla is a whore? She is the purest of all. We both shared that we would wait for our mate, she would never soil or taint our bond with our mate. I could feel my anger rising as I could feel Leyla's heart break at his cold and callous words. 

"A whore? A social climbing whore? What gives you the right to spit out lies?" I screamed at him. 

"You. Your Leyla is a little social climbing bitch who opens her legs for whoever can get her up the ranks. You are rancid and you are not my mate." He smirked. I could tell this human liked my anger, he enjoyed my pain at his words. 

"Ah, so your lies help you sleep at night and help you ignore the bond between me and Reginald. You are a pathetic king to be. Teaching your people to ignore the most cardinal rule of werewolves." I passively replied. I didn't want him to see my true reaction to his words. 

"They are not lies and as I said before we are not mates." He scoffed. 

"Well if you are so sure release Reginald." 

"Fine. You little bitch. You want me to release my beast, then so be it." He said. His tone filled with confidence and arrogance. I can't wait for it to slap him in the face. 

Ryan sat back in his chair as his eyes began to dilute, his eyes turning a darker shade. His facial expression that was once filled with tension, now seemed at ease and relaxed. 

"Amira?" His voice was huskier as he whispered my voice. "Is that you my love?" 

"Reggie?" I smiled. I could feel the tension in my shoulders ease. 

"My love." He stretched his hand out to my face and the palm on his hand caressed my cheek. I leant my head into his hand and felt the warmth cascade down my body. The tears building in my eyes. "I am here." There was weakness to his tone, he didn't exhibit the same strength that we had in our own world.

"Reggie, you can feel the bond?" I questionably asked.

"Of course my love, I told you I would follow you into this life and beyond." He longingly spoke. 

"Good. I finally have you." I smirked. 

"You do my love, but I'm afraid not for long." He replied. I could feel Leyla's heart drop at Reggie's words. 

"Reginald, what is going on? What is wrong with your human?" I demanded to know. 

"Love, I do not know. We do not have the relationship that you and Leyla have. He won't listen to me." There was a shake in his whispered voice. "I barely have a presence in my human's life, there is a block that is stopping me from speaking to him about the mate bond. I can't explain it Amira, it's like he's bewitched. But it's impossible because we have not been in contact with any witches and even he is not that stupid to converse with them" The pain in his voice was apparent.

"What do you mean you can't explain the mate bond to this bamboos?" I shouted. My foot tapping on the floor impatiently. 

"Something is stopping me Amira, if I do, the words are blocked. He is too caught up in his pride to seek the answers to questions he has.  He is illiterate when it comes to the ways of being a true wolf and because of it I am weakened."

"What can he feel Reggie?" I asked. 

"He can feel a pull, but it is not what you feel Amira. It is almost like he is disconnected from me?" He says as he strokes my cheek. 

"Will he hear this conversation? Is he here? Like Leyla?" I questioned. 

"Yes and no. There are many issues here Leyla, I do not know whether he will accept the bond. He is here but I do not know what he is understanding from this conversation. There is something interfering with our relationship. I am trying." He looks up to me, the emotion in his eyes which are filled with unshed tears. 

"My love, he is pushing through for control." His pain contorts with pain as he tries to hold him back. "I promise that regardless of him not accepting the bond, I will never let go. I would rather die than lose you. I love you forever and beyond." He fingertips wipe the tear that rolls down my check.

"Forever and beyond." I whispered. 

He forces a smile and the dark eyes that graced Ryan's face are now light. I know he is gone and my heart sinks as his lips purse together. Waiting for Ryan to say something, anything that will confirm that Reggie had told him that we were mates. 

He pushes his chair back and pulls his hand back as if my skin burned him. He gets up and walks towards the door at the dining room. He stops but he does not look back. 

"You are not my mate." His voice firm as he leaves me behind in the dust.