Chapter Thirty Eight

Leyla's Point of View

As I stepped out onto the marble terrace, the moon was shining brightly. Although it was dark I could feel the moon warm me through my bones. I closed my eyes and basked in its glow, I felt the gentle breeze carcass my skin. I was truly heartbroken, I had lost my mate and no one cared. No one even knew the truth, it was pointless stopping it because no one would believe me. For I was just a simple orphan taken in by a pack elder. 

My heart clenched, I could feel Amira trying to take my pain away. I could feel her trying to trap the darkness that was filling my heart. Although Ryan had not directly rejected me, his actions spoke louder than his words. Within his soft voice, I heard his choice of mate was Elisha and there was nothing I could do to stop the horror that was unfolding in front of me. 

I exhaled and took a deep breath in, when I smelt the pine and mint scent that caused my nose to wrinkle. It was delicious and enticing, everything about his scent enticed me to want him. I could feel he was close and alone. His scent was not mixed with any other. 

I grasped the metal railings leaning into the moonlight as I waited for him to speak. I knew we were alone and we would be undisturbed. I knew he wouldn't let anyone see or hear what we spoke of. He cared too much about appearances to be caught in his lie. I knew deep down, he knew I was his mate. 

"Leyla" Ryan whispered. His voice carried through the air. It was the first time I willing heard the longing in his voice. It wasn't from his wolf, it was from him. Ryan, my best friend and mate. 

Leyla he knows we are his mate. Amira said with a pained expression. 

I know Amira, I know. But he is too prideful to accept his mistake. He hasn't accepted us. He has chosen another. I sadly replied to Amira. 

Amira silences said it all. She knew what I had already confirmed. That it was too late for us. It was too late, for he had shunned his gift from the moon and had a chosen mate. A fake mate. 

"Leyla, do you love me? After everything I have done?" Ryan asked, his voice filled with pain. 

"More than you realise Ryan." I sighed. 

Ryan approached me and stood next to me.  Although I couldn't see him, I could feel the heat radiate off his skin. My eyes were still closed and for once I enjoyed the silence with my mate. I wonder when he admitted to himself that Elisha wasn't his mate.

"You were my first friend Ryan. I loved you when I was child." I smiled to myself. "You promised you would always be there for me, but you weren't." The acceptance in my voice could be heard, but I could feel the pain that was laced in my tone. "I know you do not love me, you love Elisha." I smiled softly, despite how much I hated Elisha. It wasn't her fault my mate chose her. "I know our wolves are in love and care for another, but it doesn't mean you have to. You taught me that." 

"Leyla, you have no idea..." He started to speak. 

"Ryan, don't. You know it's better if you don't say those words. It makes it easier for the pain to go away." I interrupted. 

He made no move to get away from me, if anything I could feel him getting closer. All I wanted to do was wrap my arms around him and run away from everything. 

"Why did you bully me Ryan?" I asked. 

"Would you believe me if I said I was in love with you? But then after years of separation, growing up in the Royal family has it's challenges, you never quite know who likes you for you, rather than being a prince." He murmured. "When I saw you at school after all those years and you were beautiful. You were the only one to approach me and at the time I thought you were using me like everyone else." He explained. 

"I loved you and I was scared you weren't my age. I pushed you away and treated you poorly hoping you would stay away. I really wasn't expecting everyone else to bully you as well. I was scared. I didn't want to betray my mate for some crush. I didn't want to make my mates heart." He whispered. 

"But you did that anyway." I sombrely replied. 

"I met Elisha when I distanced myself from you and she helped me forget. As time went by you just became someone I used to know." 

The daggers to my heart were never-ending tonight. All those years I spent wishing for my best friend. I never forgot him or his kindness. I remembered all the days in the sun with Ryan. I think a part of me always knew he was my mate. I wonder if he would admit it now. 

"Do you believe I am your mate?" I painfully asked. The words ripped out of my mouth before I could say anything else. 

"I don't know. My wolf he doesn't speak to me anymore." He replied as his head hung low. I could see he was pained from Reggie's distance. 

"Let me help you." I said as I grasped his hand. I felt like fireworks were being fired across my skin, the warmth was intoxicating. I could see his eyes land on my hand that clutched his. I bring his hand to my cheek, hoping he won't let go. I wanted to enjoy the never-ending sparks. It was the best feeling in my life. I brought my other hand to his cheek and gently began to stroke my fingers across his warm skin. 

"Reggie." I whispered repeatedly. 

It was then that his eyes began to darken, I could feel Amira breaking free, wanting to control the interaction I was having with her mate. I pushed myself back and for the first time I could sense that Ryan was witnessing the connection between Reginald and Amira. 

"I love you Amira and Leyla." Reginald spoke. His voice was darker and deeper than Ryan's but you could tell they were connected. "I'm sorry if I am too late."

Amira brings her finger to Ryan's lips telling him silently to be quiet. She enjoyed the physically contact and connection with her mate that she didn't want anyone to ruin it. "I love you too Reggie, even that dip shit human of yours." She chuckled lightly. I could feel the tears in her eyes well. 

Reginald pulled me close to his body and his lips descended on mine. For a long time, I believed I would never have my first kiss. I would never experience the inferno that was building and spreading across my lips. Everything was heightened. I could hear his heart pounding, the blood swooshing around his body. I was innately tuned to every flicker of movement of his man. 

Amira and Reginald both got lost in the passion and the heat. I could feel their need to mark and mate, it was exhilarating to feel what Amira felt. It was so intense, I thought I would combust into flames. Amira slowly let go of her control and allowed me to take the front seat. I could sense Reginald do the same with Ryan. 

As we continued to kiss, nothing changed. The feelings were still just as intense and just as overwhelming and Ryan did nothing to stop it, if anything he increased the tempo of the kiss. There was a desperation from him, a longing that he never wanted to let go of. Is this the connection between mates that everyone talks about? How can he let this go? How can he let me go?

Everything was perfect in this one kiss. All my feelings that were pent up were now released onto the mate who did not want me. The mate who discarded me. The mate who destroyed my hope. For that second, I forgot everything and just enjoyed the moment with the one who was pre-destined to be mine. 

A sudden screeching pierced my ears and the blood went cold at the noise. Both me and Ryan pulled apart, reluctant to look away from our heavy and heated gaze. Our moment had ended as we turned to the direction of the noise that had interrupted our kiss. It was then that my heart stopped and there she stood. 

Elisha. Her eyes were cold and filled with rage. Her eyes started to well with tears. Ryan just looked between us both, his mouth gaped not knowing what to say. As she turned to me, his expression was filled with sadness and confusion at what he just felt, but I knew he confirmed I was his mate. 

However, while he was concentrated on conveying his apologies. I stood that the cunning she-wolf in front of me. She had mastered the art of deception for despite the tears that were in her eyes, there was a small smirk that lingered in the corner of her mouth. It was then I knew she was playing a dangerous game, she had confirmed my suspicion. That she knew she wasn't Ryan's true mate.