Chapter Ten

Leyla's point of view

I'm packing the rest of the clothes I'll need for my stay at the Royal Quarters, a sense of dread filling my stomach. Amira had been awfully quiet this morning. Although she was sassy with trying to get me to agree with Nona's logic, I could sense her anxiety. I don't know the specific reasons for her anxiety, I could sense it was because she was going to be her mate. There was so much uncertainty it was making me feel sick. 

Nona was still reluctant as to why she was escorting the King but she expressed they were looking for the missing wolves. I had no idea what the specifics were but I knew the King was stumped for leads if an elder was going to advise them, especially Nona. Nona never went outside the Royal Pack without me as her wolf did not like to leave me. Nona had expressed that her wolf had viewed me as her own the moment she found me at the orphanage. 

I closed my travel case when Nona shouted for me, telling me that the guards were here to take our bags to the Royal Quarters where she was meeting the King. I sighed and grabbed my case and made my way downstairs. Nona was stood by the door dressed in a formal suit with a white blouse. Her hair was tied in a bun with a few tendrils framing her heart shaped face. Her brown eyes were clouded with concern as I believe she could sense my unease. I tried to plaster on a fake smile, but I knew she would see past this. 

As I reached Nona, two guards were stood on the porch behind her. They nodded to me and I passed them my travel bag. The guards were dressed in their uniform which was made of black trouser pants and a white shirt which had the royal crest embodied on the shirt. Both guards were tall and brawny, muscles stretching into the corners of their clothes. Neither one of them held a smile and avoided eye contact. Both were looking straight on as Nona tried speaking to them. 

"We will take both your items to the palace where the King will be waiting for both of you. The King advised you take your time." One of the guards said. His face was expressionless and turned and walked away with the other guard following suit. 

"Well in that case I think we have time for a stroll around the garden before we leave." Nona smiled at me. I nodded softly in response. 

We made our way around the garden where Nona's flowers were in full bloom. Roses were blossoming, wild flowers of different colours were bursting through the jabs. Nona said she always had a green thumb and when Roger died she found comfort in watching something grow. She expressed that along with the orphanage it gave her something to focus on before I came along. 

I remember spending many summer evenings helping Nona with her garden. Pruning and weeding my hands would be sore but I would always feel satisfied. As we worked she would often share stories with me about Roger, she would tell me her most treasured memories with her mate and telling me how much I would love to have my own. 

"How are you feeling today darling? My wolf has been very antsy telling me something is wrong" Nona asked.

I hesitated questioning whether I should tell her or not. I know she would not let me go to the Royal Quarters or she would tell the King about my confession of being Prince Ryan's mate. Although I hated not being honest with Nona, something told me it was not time to share my burden with her. Amira seemed adamant that we could not allow Nona to interfere at this point. She said it would put her at danger. 

What danger? I asked Amira. 

She did not reply, she went quiet again. But I felt her concern through our bond and she flashed thoughts of losing Nona. My heart thumped knowing a world without Nona is something I could not bare. She had been the only consistent in my life. Her safety was important, she was my stability that had grounded me all these years. I knew I had to protect Nona from whatever Amira was worried about. I knew that I needed to trust Amira's instincts because she knew things that she could not share with me. I internally huffed knowing she was not going to give me the answers I needed. 

"Yes Nona. Much better." I plastered on a fake smiled. Amira persevering my actions to try and hide my lie from her. "I am looking forward to starting my training with the Queen and her ladies." As the words tumbled out of my mouth, I wanted to grit my teeth but stopped myself.

"That's wonderful Leyla" I could sense Nona's eyes, I could feel her assessment looking for any signs that I was being untruthful, but I knew she would not sense my lie. "Now Leyla, I need to give you a few words before I leave. I feel it is important that I warn you to be on your own should you need to return to the cottage make sure there is a guard present with you." She stopped and lightly grasped my arm making sure that my attention was on her. She looked deeply into my eyes.

 "Leyla, I mean it. I need you to look after yourself because there are unknown dangers that we are facing and I can't lose you." A small tear left her eye. I could feel her anxiety and concern. Her weariness of leaving her pup and I could smell her fear seeping through her pores. 

I gently tugged Nona within my arms and held her tight. For many years Nona would often comfort me and I can not remember a time when she left me at the Royal Pack. The maternal instincts she held never allowed her to leave her pup unprotected. I wanted to comfort her, reassure her that everything would be fine. 

"I promise." I replied and I embraced the warmth and love from Nona. 

Although she was not my biological mother, Nona had cared for me like one. She nurtured me, taught me the old ways of the wolf. She was a blessing from the moon goddess that I would never forget. I would be forever thankful to her wolf for recognising me as my own. Although I was just a ward of Nona to many pack members, Nona always said I was hers. How could the moon goddess be so cruel not to bless this woman with her own pups when other parents abused their children. I sighed and truly smiled as I thought about how much I adored Nona.

"Nona, I love you." I said. 

"I love you too sweet pea." She sighed wistfully. She held me in her arms and I could feel her reluctance to let go. I tightly closed my eyes, praying to the moon goddess that she protects Nona from harm during her travels. I could feel Amira's smile through our bond telling me that she would be safe. 

Nona released me from her hug, holding my arms, stroking them up and down with a maternal affection. She then wiped her eyes and looked at me.

"Well, let's not keep the Royal Family waiting any longer." She smiled and took my arm in her's as we made our way to the Royal Quarters.