Chapter Twenty Four

Leyla's Point Of View

I had spent most of my morning reviewing the Queen's notes and guides to being a lady in waiting and everything written was ridiculous. Her expectations were artificial and didn't offer any guidance on how to adequately support a ruling Queen. The notes were like "dress presentably" or "follow all orders of your Queen, despite your personal opinion you are there to serve your Queen." Honestly as I stared at her notes all I could hear was Nona scoffing in the back of my mind. 

The academic books of being an advisor and what the Queen had written contrasted so much that they almost contradicted itself. I remember when Nona told me about being a lady in waiting, she expressed that their role was esteemed and she explained to me the history of the role. She explained that before the current Monarchy they were referred to as advisors and they were there to ensure laws were upheld and help the current king and queen provided just rulings and judgements. However what the Queen had described was a glorified maid or servant to the King and Queen. 

Fortunately I had read through all the books that the Queen requested for our meeting tomorrow and I was well prepared for her inquisition. Although her attitude had changed, I knew she was looking for a reason to find me incompetent. I don't know why but I knew Amira felt uneasy in her presence and that vibrated into my human side. Nona's words about trusting no one danced around my head. 

I stretched my limbs while at the desk and decided to take a brisk walk through the pack house. My feet were carrying me around the highly decorated halls of the Royal Quarters that I didn't even identify where I was going, when I came to a sudden halt. There were two large wooden mahogany doors. I looked around and noticed that there were guards stationed at each side of the doors. They didn't say anything or do anything when I pushed open the doors. 

As I entered the doorways, the decor and smell was different compared to the other areas of the pack house. It was sterile and decorated with white tiles, there were many people walking around the halls and they were all wearing green scrubs. They were so busy that they didn't notice my presence. Many were carrying medical equipment, others were carrying large files. 

"Excuse me miss, can I help you." I was brought out of my staring. I tilted my head and stared at the man. Wrinkles covered his face, his eyebrows were white and bushy and his mouth was covered with a blue face mask. His shoulders were hunched, whether this was from age of tiredness, I did not know. 

"Sorry to disturb you. I was just wandering and it led me here. I'm Leyla. I'm the soon to be lady in waiting for the new Queen." As I held my hand out. 

"Ahh Leyla, pleasure to meet you. There has been a lot of talk around the palace about your stay. I'm Dr Richards" He grasped my hand and shook it. 

"Dr Richards, it is my pleasure. You look awfully busy? Would you care for some extra hands?" I asked. 

"That would be great, we are treating an unknown illness at the moment, there have been warriors and some omegas getting sick with something unknown virus. So if you don't mind tending to some of them that would be great." He sighed with relief. 

"It would be my pleasure." He opened and door to the right and pulled out some scrubs and told me to get changed and start my doing some rounds checking the temperature of some of the patients. He pointed in the direction of the staff lavatory and said that I could put my clothes and any personal items in there. 

I quickly changed, noticing the scrubs loosely hung around my body. I made my way to the first room where there was a young warrior no older than 16. His forehead was wet with sweat, his hair was scruffy. He looked underweight and pale. It was clear that he was severely underweight. I looked at his face and I recognised him from one of the times I was training at the Warrior quarters and he looked completely different. It was less than a month when I last saw him. He was always filled with light and laughter.