Chapter Eleven

King Alexander's Point of View

I was making the final arrangements for my trip with Nona. When I looked over the reports from the Nightingale Pack. When I looked over the reports yesterday with Ryan we noticed that there were small inconsistencies within the statements. The accounts from the different pack members varied in relation to a she-wolf called Jennifer. Jennifer was only 18 years of age and was the daughter of a high ranking warrior.  The reports detailed her life expressing that she was an upcoming asset to the pack with excellent grades at school, countless volunteer hours and she was exceptionally talented at combat. These were the only consistencies within the report. 

The reports following her last weeks at the pack is where facts started to  presented become a little uncertain. Some statements from pack members expressed that she was distant, while others reported that she was jealous and bitter. The report provided no reason for her sudden change in her behaviour, which to me was alarming. 

I rubbed the temples on my forehead, trying to relieve the tension that has been building. When I threw myself back into my chair and opened my eyes to stare at the frames that were scattered across my desk. The frames were a traditional aspect of my role as Alpha King and as the years went by I filled them with pictures of my life just as my father before me had done. 

There was a picture of me and parents outside the pack house when I was a child. Both my parents were looking at me, their eyes filled with love and happiness. Nona and Roger in the background looking at us wistfully. I remember when Nona saw the picture and she expressed the story of how Roger had told her he couldn't wait to see her bare his pups. He told her he wanted a huge family. 

I remember when Roger passed onto his next life. Both my parents were sad and heartbroken, they were concerned for their friend's heart at the time. Although I was only around eight at the time my parents expressed how hard it is for a wolf to loose it's soulmate. I remember Nona would hold me and I could feel her tears run down her cheeks. When I was a child I could not comprehend her sadness but as a man I understand that she would hold me with sadness because she would never get to experience the life of a child with her mate. 

The next picture was of me and Lamia on her wedding. She was dressed in a decadent white princess dress with the jewels of the Royal family. Her eyes shone brightly and her smile was large displaying her perfectly aligned white teeth. Her hand was draped over my arm almost as if she was worried she was going to sink. I looked at myself in the picture and I was dressed in the traditional royal attire that my father had worn on the day to my mother. The suit was grey and my medals of honour from my service as crown prince was placed on my right pec; medals which symbolised honour, courage and my community service to the people that I served. Just above that resided the royal crest which was gold and made up of an intricate and elaborate crown. 

When I looked at this picture I could see my unhappiness. My eyes looked soulless, my smile looked fake and plastered. I remember feeling at unease for celebrating my marriage to Lamia because my mother had been murdered two weeks before. The thought of my mother being murdered brought tears to my eyes, the pain I felt and was indescribable. The whole Kingdom loved my mother, she was a kind and nurturing lady who had time for everyone. The whole country mourned for the loss of their Queen. Vigils were head with candles lit across the Royal Pack, prayers were made for her safety and happiness alongside the moon goddess. 

I remember my father being devastated for the death of my mother but that soon turned to rage when he discovered she was murdered by Lily. Just the mere mention of Lily makes my heart pound and I feel my skin getting hot with rage. I cannot allow my thoughts to linger on her memory because she does not deserve to be remembered for she betrayed our race and our kingdom. I shook my head from the destructive thoughts and looked at the picture of my son.