Chapter Twenty

Ryan's Of View

I slouched in my chair strumming my fingers across the cold mahogany surface while I sat in my father's office. A glass of scotch was in my other hand as I contemplated the last few days. Running the kingdom was not an easy task. My father was natural born leader, being King was second nature to him. He was strong and had this innate ability to protect his people while maintaining a caring aptitude towards his people. 

I scoffed thinking about how he had everyone fooled. How can I say he is caring when he is anything but? I hated him. I hated him for being my father, he hurt my mother deeply and he has no idea she knows what a lowlife he is. I hated that she loved him so much that she didn't want me to do anything about his indiscretions with other wolfs. She would whimper into my shoulder, telling me the pain she was in when he would "work late" when she knew he was cheating on her. The rage within me would rise to the surface, my wolf would often come to the surface wanting to challenge and shame him for the betrayal of my beautiful and kind mother. 

Despite his poor treatment towards my mother and as much as I hated him for what he has done, he was still a good, kind and fair ruler to the people. It was something that my mother would always say to me as I held her in my arms. As much as I hated to admit it, she was right and I knew it was not right for the kingdom. 

While my father was away I understood why he worked hard, there was always something to do; a pack to talk to; a grievance to solve; a wolf to comfort. I groaned thinking about how much paperwork was left to do. My head was hurting from the stress of the responsibility that was placed on my shoulders. 

Keep telling yourself that, human. My wolf sneered. You know the real reason why you are stressed, you just don't want to admit

I groaned. Day by day my wolf was becoming more and more agitating. For the last week has been talking in riddles and always being vague about why I was stressed. However, he would never be explicit with me. 

It's because you are an idiot. Goddess help me. Reginald huffed.

 Reginald and me have been out of tune since my last visit with Lady Elisha. His thoughts are slowly becoming more erratic and our communication has become broken. Our relationship has never been strong but recently it has diminished. I questioned whether it was because we are away from our mate?

As I said mate, I thought of my beautiful fiancé Elisha. She is so beautiful and I can't wait for her to be our Queen. I had been visiting her pack for years and I would spend my summers with her as a teenager, when my mother and father use to do their tour of the kingdom. My aunt Rebecca was the Beta Female of the pack and she introduced me to Elisha's father Alpha Winfred. I remember seeing her at dinner that evening and I felt this instant pull to her. She was so graceful and she commanded everyone's attention at such a young age. That first summer we were inseparable and when I left I could feel my heart break at the distance between us. My teenage heart could not comprehend no contact so we wrote letters to each other until we were reunited. 

It was not until this summer when I visited that I realised that she was my mate. My body hummed with delight as this warm feeling spread across my skin. It was then that I realised, Elisha was my finally mine, my brain realised that the reason I was pulled to her from a young age was because of the bond that was yet to form. The kingdom loves her and she well known in our community for kindness, poise, grace and beauty. She is so accomplished with good connections and she is a reputable family so I know she will help our Kingdom prosper. The Goddess has truly blessed me. 

As I swirled my scotch in my hand I could feel small pricks pulsating in my chest. I had everything that anyone could want. Power, wealth and the love of a mate, but why did I feel so empty.  Being away from Elisha hadn't been difficult whenever I left her but in the last week I would feel Reggie's frustrated and irritation hum through our bond. He was very quiet for a wolf and would often avoid conversing with me. It was strange because when other's would talk about their wolf at the academy for Alpha's they would describe their wolf's need to dominate and overpower them. One of the classes that I attended was around controlling your wolf and had aced it. The teachers would often praise me for my skills and they expressed that the King gene was strong in me. 

I could not understand why I was frustrated when I spent time with Leyla. Why did my blood boil when I saw her? How was she able to frustrate me more than anyone in the Kingdom? Why did my body react to hers? I had this innate need to be close to her, to know what she was doing, to know that she was safe. I don't understand, I already have a beautiful mate but why was she so enticing. 

When she touched me, my skin prickled. It wasn't as strong as what I shared with Elisha but it was warm and safe. I shook my head and thoughts away from that wretched wolf. She is nothing but a rank climbing whore and I know she will bring nothing but shame to whoever her mate is. What concerned me about Leyla was the impact she had on the male wolves if she was able to get her future king to react to her. What witchcraft was she using? 

I felt a low rumble in my chest, my wolf was becoming antsy and I knew I would need to subdue his needs to sleep well tonight. I fished out my phone and called my loved Elisha. It was late, but I was hoping she would answer. The phone rang and nearly went to voicemail when it was picked up. 

"Hello" Her raspy breath spoke in between her laboured breaths. 

"Hello my love." I smiled as I could feel the blood rush to my dick. She had this ability to entice me like no other. 

"Ryan" she said, her voice filled with surprise and excitement as she spoke. "Sorry lover, I was asleep when I ran to my phone."

"No problem my love, I just missed you and wanted to speak and check how you are." 

"Of course, you know I don't mind. I missed you and can't wait to be in your arms." Elisha said. 

My hearth thumped with pain as she said those words. My heart was aching with need to be close to her. 

"I know lover, my father should be there to escort you to my pack the weekend. I love you my mate." As the words fell out of my mouth, I felt this uncomfortable feeling pass through my body.  It felt like my skin was irritated, it was almost as if a thousand bugs were crawling across my body. I shivered as confusion masked my face. What is going on? I had spoken these words to my love many times over the summer, it doesn't make sense. 

"Ryan? Ryan are you there?" Her voice softly filled my ear. 

"Yeah, sorry someone just knocked on my door and I was distracted. I missed what you said." I could feel the frown on my face, why was I lying to her? I should tell her about my encounter with Leyla and the lies she was spewing. I should rely on her because she is my mate. 

"It's okay lover. I know you are busy as you prepare to take over from your father. I was said I love you too and I can't wait to announce our engagement to the kingdom." Elisha was full of excitement and I could hear the smile on her face. But then why I when I thought about Elisha's smile did Leyla's face push to the front on my mind?

"I have to go love, I'll speak to you soon." I replied. I needed to finish this conversation quickly, I couldn't worry her and I knew I could handle Leyla and her lies. 

"Speak soon." She said and I ended the call. 

I launched the phone across the room and groaned loudly. The frustration I felt was clearly building up. I couldn't understand why Reginald was so distant when speaking to his mate. My wolf was awfully quiet and although people praised me for the control I had, I couldn't help but ponder whether it was normal. 

I thought back to my conversation with Leyla's Wolf, Amira. God she was such a bitch. I remembered when she spoke I felt my anger boil and rise to the surface, no one had ever got me so pissed off in my life. I remember feeling the palm of my hand twitch with wanting to smack the smirk of her face. Equally, I remember feeling the tension growing in my groin thinking that her confidence and lack of fear incredibly erotic. 

It was then when I blacked out momentarily and for the life of me I couldn't remember what was said, what she did. I can only imagine the dirty tricks she was playing. I sat back in my chair and took a deep breath knowing that I would find out what tricks little Miss Leyla was playing. All I knew was that I was not going to be a snivelling snake like my father and cheat on my mate Elisha. With Leyla being my future queen's advisor, I would ensure that she didn't harm her or play her jealous games. I will make sure the Kingdom knows what the traitorous bitch she is. I would not live with the same mistakes as my father, I would show strength where he showed weakness. I would make sure Elisha never shed a tear. 

Time to find out what Little Leyla has been up to.