Chapter Seventeen

Leyla's Point of View:

I entered the dining room after a quick wardrobe change. Amira was highly persuasive in getting me to wear a more risqué outfit. The dress she picked was a deep red and the hemline fell just above the knee with a sweetheart neckline. I paired it with some kitten red heels and ensured that the amulet was tucked below my dress. To conceal the chain I wore a long silver pendant which Nona had gifted me on my sixteenth birthday. She told me that it was given to her by Roger. 

The dining room was empty par the Prince who was seated in his father's chair. I could see that my cutlery and plate was seated next to him. The candles were lit and there were fewer omega's present. The smell of roasted thyme and lemon chicken filled my nostrils and I could feel my stomach growl in appreciation of the food this evening. The prince's eyes lifted to meet my gaze. His eyes weren't as cold and his shoulder's weren't as tense. He seemed more relaxed and more comfortable this evening which was a welcomed surprise.

"Good evening my prince." I bowed my head pulling my lingering gaze. 

"Erm." He coughed slightly. "Good evening Leyla. My mother is at the pack hospital this evening and my uncle is on patrol so it will be just us tonight." 

"Very well your majesty. Do you might if I take a seat?" I asked. He responded with a wave of his hand, gesturing to the seat at his right. 

I made my way to my allocated seat and began to plate my food. The recent loss of my appetite seemed to diminish in the presence of my mate. My hunger was at all time high. Amira was purring at the thought of being this close to her mate and the sensual aromas that were filling the room. 

As I began to eat, there was an awkward silence that lingered in the room. The only sounds that could be heard were those from the clattering of cutlery. This was the first time that I found myself on my own in Ryan's company, well since I found out he was my mate. There was something uncomfortable about this. I always thought that when I went my mate it would be the most wonderful feeling, that nothing else would cease to matter. However, all I felt was feelings of confusion. 

Talk to him Leyla. I could feel her gritting her teeth as she grew more frustrated at my lack of engagement with Ryan. In response, I could feel my hesitation and nervousness grow. You promised. Amira said with a slight whimper in her voice.  

"So it's been a while my prince, how have you been?" I asked. 

"Very well Leyla and you?" He replied. 

"I have been good, thank you for asking." I said in a calming tone. Amira was pushing through trying to gain control. I could feel her need to go guns blazing and speak to the human that was holding back Reginald. "What have you been up to? Are you enjoying your duties?"

"Yes they are interesting. My father has been training and preparing me to take over so there has been a lot of on the job training as I'm sure you can imagine." He spoke passively. I could feel the tension in his shoulders rise as he spoke about his father. 

That's a new development. Ryan was always close with his father when we were growing up, I wonder what changed. I can remember the times when he used to follow his father like his shadow. He would walk around imitating him. The King would always chuckle at his endeavours and run his hand through Ryan's head. Ryan's nose would always squint in response and the subtly complain about his father treating him like a baby. I felt my lips smirk as the memories played in my mind. 

"What are you smiling about?" He asked. I could hear the curiosity in his voice. 

"Fond memories of when we were children. I remember playing hide and seek with you and your father. You were always quite obvious in your hiding places." I replied.