Chapter Thirty One

Nona's Point Of View

I sat there impatiently waiting for Leyla's reply. I knew that Ryan was her mate, I could sense her heartbreak at his affection to Elisha. I saw the tear that rolled down her cheek. My wolf felt her pain. How long has she known that he was her mate? Has she been in pain all these years? Why hasn't he accepted her? Why is he claiming another to be his true mate? Was she mistaken? The thoughts and questions kept rolling around my head. 

I made my way to the kitchen and stepped a pot of tea. The downstairs of the cottage was open planned so I could still see my little one standing by the doorway. There was no way she was escaping my questions, I wouldn't allow her to go through this pain on her own any longer. God, the thought of my pup in pain made my heart break. 

I saw Leyla's shoulders slump as she turned and made her way to the sofa. She sat down with her elbows on her knees and her hands covered her face. I could sense she was reluctant to speak but I needed to know the truth of how long she had been suffering. God my heart at the thought of leaving her in close proximity of a mate that may not want her. 

The teapot was brought the boil and I poured two cups of tea and made my to the chair that sat opposite the sofa. I placed the cups of tea on the table and sat back waiting for response but all I heard was the silent sobs of my broken pup. 

"Leyla. Little one, you have nothing to worry about. I am here for you, I want to help you. Whatever has happened you know you can trust me, you are my pup to protect but I can not do that if you don't tell me what is going on." I reassured her wanting to alleviate some of her worries. I didn't want her to care about my reaction because I knew whatever happened wasn't her fault. 

"Nona" her voice cracked. "I don't want to disappoint you. I am scared you will hate me or be ashamed of me." She whimpered. 

"Leyla. I could never be ashamed of you, you are my child, my pup. You have brought me nothing but joy. Nothing you could say, could stop me from loving you. Even if you were to murder someone, I will still love you. Yes I would be disappointed but my love is unconditional." I said in a soothing tone. 

She stopped sobbing and sat back in the sofa. I could see her tear stained cheeks and I knew whatever she was going to say was going to anger me. I couldn't bare for someone to hurt my pup even if it was the Prince. 

"Nona I found out he was my mate at the dinner the first night we went to the palace." I was slightly relieved that it wasn't years but it hurt to know that I left her at the palace with someone who claiming another as his mate. "It was why I left early because I couldn't bare to him and Lady Elisha" She replied. 

"I knew he was my mate, I got the tingles and when I looked into his eyes, the bond snapped into place. We touched slightly and it was then that I was sure he was my mate." She whispered. 

"Are you one-hundred percent sure?" I asked. I didn't want to question her or to doubt her but I needed to know that she wasn't mistaken. 

"Yes Nona, he is one hundred percent my mate. The Moon Goddess and Amira confirmed it." She sighed. 

"The Moon Goddess came to you in a dream?" I asked. I closed my eyes sensing that although she was to be worshiped there was nothing good from a visit from the Moon Goddess. It was then that I knew Leyla was destined for something that the fates would not allow me to stop. I knew that my wolf was right. That Leyla was facing imminent danger. 

"She showed me a memory of me and Ryan as pups, she confirmed he was my mate and I met his wolf that night. We could not speak to each other but Amira and Reginald did. Amira is forbidden from speaking about the time they spent together it was the sacrifice that they made to their hosts. I am unsure whether Ryan is aware that they had spent time together but I believe something is stopping him from recognising the bond." She stated.