Chapter Sixteen

Leyla's point of view

The library was just how I remembered it. The large bay windows where the warm summer light stretched into the room far and wide. The walls were covered from top to bottom in books. The spines stacked vertically, all aligned and no gaps. It was my idea of heaven, every book was in it's place not a thing was out of place. 

The smell of old literature lingered in the air, the pages let of this aroma which was musky. It was enticing and singing to my senses. Thoughts of relocating my bed into the room so I could linger here made my heart pound with joy. This was the first time since finding my mate, that I found peace and happiness. The smile that lingered on my face was cemented in the thoughts of never leaving this room. 

There was desks dotted across the main space and chaise chair located by the window. All but one of the desks were cleared of books. I made my way to the desk which held the books that the Queen had left for me. The desk held various pens and highlighters along with a notebook. Stacked beside it was a stack of three different books, they varied in sizes but each had different titles. A small note was left on top of them, which I picked up with my fingertips and read. 

Leyla, 

As instructed, please read these books by the end of the week. They will explain your duties and role as a lady in waiting. It is imperative that you read these and analyse the texts. I have left small footnotes for you to read.

If Lady Reanna is still unresponsive by the end of the week then I will be meet with you and discuss your work. I will also be available to answer any questions you may have. 

Please understand it is an important role that you will need to fill and should you not want to continue then I would understand. It is a lot of responsibility that some do not wish to carry. 

Kind Regards, 

Queen Lamia. 

The note was on a piece of ivory card which which had the royal crest on it. I presumed it was the royal stationary. The Queen's penmanship was feminine and perfect. There was not a word out of place or shape. Her writing was impeccable and unique. 

She doesn't think we can handle the responsibility. Amira huffed. 

Amira, stop. I am sure she is just being thoughtful. I replied. 

Like hell. Thought my as- She scoffed. 

AMIRA. I shouted. 

Fine. You win. Let's start looking at the books. Amira said. I could hear the boredom in her tone at the selected reading. 

The first two books I had already read as Nona had already gifted me copies when the King had advised her that he wanted me as an advisor. Nona had expressed that the role of advisor to the Queen had changed to lady in waiting when the current Monarch began their reign. I remember hearing her displeasure at the name change as Nona believed it was demeaning of the role that they serve to their King and Queen. 

The first book was very mundane and called 'The roles and responsibilities of the Advisor'. The book was self-explanatory but very factual in what was expected. The advisor was to be someone could be trusted and who understand the importance of helping the Monarch recognising what is needed rather than what is wanted. I remember be enticed by the author's words as he expressed that despite being royalty, they are still human and will make mistakes that are not in the best interest of the Kingdom but their own selfish desires. The author expressed that an excellent advisor needed to support their Monarch in recognising this to ensure balance in the Kingdom.