Chapter 20: Liars

Chapter 20: Liars

‘Ginny?’
Ginny looks up from her book to see Hermione standing next to her.
‘Hey, what are you doing here?’ Ginny smiles surprised to see her best friend in the Gryffindor common room.
‘I need to talk to you.’
‘Something wrong?’ Ginny asks worried.
‘I’m not sure.’
‘You okay?’
‘I’m not sure of that either.’
‘Tell me.’ Ginny says, sitting up on the couch, patting on the empty space next to her.
‘Remember that I told you there was no way Draco and I were going to get together?’
‘Yes?’
‘Because we agreed we would be better off as friends?’
‘Yes?’
‘And when I told you about the fact that Draco was extremely distant?’
‘Yes? Is there going to be a point?’
‘Well, I knew you talked to him the night before, when I was here in the Gryffindor Tower.’
‘You knew?’ Ginny asks, raising her eyebrows.
‘And well, after that we got together. And when you went off to talk things through with Draco, after telling him that perhaps it would be better to keep his distance, we were actually already sort of together….’
Ginny looks at Hermione, trying to process the new found information she had just received.
‘So you and Malfoy are together?’
Hermione slowly nods.
‘And you have been for what? A few weeks now? Without telling me?’
Hermione nods again.
‘So you have been lying to me the past few weeks?’
Hermione sighs as she looks down at her hands.
‘May I know why you didn’t just tell me right away and why you’re telling me this now?’
‘Draco asked me if it would be alright to keep us a secret for a while. He didn’t want me to be in any kind of danger or whatsoever. He asked me to tell no one, including you. I wanted to tell you, I have wanted to multiple times, but the fact Draco asked me not to kept me from telling you. Then I just discovered Draco has told Blaise days ago, only because Blaise told me.’ Hermione tells her.
‘So you’re telling me this now to get revenge?’
‘No of course not! I just figured if he could tell his best friend, why shouldn’t I?’
‘Hermione, since when do you listen to someone?’ Ginny asks sternly.
‘Well I-‘
‘Not very often and especially not when it comes down to this kind of thing. You shouldn’t have to answer to these kinds of request when it doesn’t feel right to you! If you want to tell someone you can trust for the full hundred percent, why shouldn’t you?’ Ginny asks, disappointment and hurt clear in her voice.
‘Apparently mister Big Shot did it.’ she huffs.
Hermione sighs.
‘I know and I shouldn’t have listened to him and told you right away, but I felt horrible-‘
‘You felt horrible to tell me? Why? Because you don’t trust me?’
‘No! Of course not! I trust you completely!’
‘Why didn’t you tell me?’
‘Because I couldn’t!’
‘Of course you could! The fact that Malfoy has been lying to you while you have been lying to your best friend because of him says enough, now doesn’t it?’ Ginny half shouts.
‘I’m sorry Gin, I know, you’re right. I shouldn’t have lied to you.’ Hermione says.
Hermione’s glad no one’s around in the Gryffindor common room. Otherwise tabloids would be filled with front pages saying “Former Death Eater with one of the Golden Trio” “Scandal Romance” “Hero and villain, will this last?” and so on and so on.
‘But you did!’
‘I know, but I can’t change anything about that now, can I?’
Ginny sighs.
‘I know you can’t, it just hurts to know that you thought this wasn’t something you needed to share with me from the beginning.’
‘I’m sorry.’
Ginny nods.
‘What are you going to say to Malfoy now you know he’s been lying to you?’
‘I don’t know.’ Hermione shrugs.
‘Are you mad?’
‘I kind of am, yes.’
‘Understandable.’
Hermione nods as a sigh rolls over her lips.
‘What are you going to say to him? Are you even going to say anything about it?’
‘I’m not sure yet. I’ll just wait and see.’ Hermione shrugs.
Ginny nods.
‘Are we okay?’ Hermione asks carefully.
Ginny looks up at Hermione before sighing.
‘You better not lie to me again Granger! Yes of course we’re okay.’
Hermione smiles as she pulls Ginny into a hug.
‘You’re the best.’
‘I know I am.’

Hermione walks into her shared common room, where she finds Draco seated on his seat making homework.
‘Hey.’ he smiles as he looks up.
‘Hmm.’
‘Something wrong?’ Draco asks frowning.
‘Something wrong? You better think about what you’ve done and when you’ve figured it out what I’m talking about I’m ready to talk to you.’ Hermione huffs as she walks off to her room before closing the door behind her.
She grabs her book and lays down on her neatly made bed before opening the book and starting to read. It only takes Draco seconds to realise what it might be, but it takes him a few minutes to gather enough courage to confront his girlfriend about it, not completely sure it is what he thinks it is.
‘Mione?’
Hermione doesn’t respond.
‘Can you please tell me what I’ve done?’
Hermione looks up from her book and shoots him a deathly glare.
‘I know you know, so spill it Malfoy.’
‘You’ve found out that Blaise knows?’
Hermione doesn’t move, staring him dead in the eye.
‘I’m sorry Mione, I know I asked you to keep it a secret, but I accidently spilled it to him.’ he starts, coming closer to her.
‘That’s not even the worst thing! The fact that I’ve been asking and asking if it would be alright if I’d tell at least Ginny and you constantly said it wouldn’t be the best idea while YOUR best friend knew all about it!’
‘I get why you’re angry, but I don’t know Weasley, she seems like someone who’d tell her boyfriend, whom will tell the other Weasley, whom will tell other people and so on, ending with the whole school knowing about us.’
‘And what’s so bad about that? Hu? Are you ashamed to be with me? Are you ashamed to call me your girlfriend, or hold my hand in the hallway, or kiss me when other people can see us? Are you ashamed of me? Is that it? Because if you are I can make it a lot easier for not only you but for the both of us!’
Draco looks at her and shakes his head.
‘That’s not it at all! I would love to do all those things with you. I WANT to be able to show you off to everyone, but it’s too dangerous.’ Draco says, stepping closer again, now standing next to her.
‘What is it then?’ Hermione demands.
‘I’m scared someone’ll hurt you. Goyle, still on the loose Death Eaters, or anyone else. The tabloids will be filled with the news when everyone here at Hogwarts knows, because someone will definitely spill this new found information to the outside world, which will cause into hurtful words, judging glances and so on.’  Draco says, sitting down next to her bed and taking her hand in his.
Hermione sighs.
‘I can take care of myself.’
‘You’ve told me that already, but you shouldn’t put yourself in danger when it’s not necessary.’
‘But this, whatever we’re doing, is not a relationship. The only times we are actually in a relationship is in our dormitory, the moment we step outside we’re practically strangers. I don’t want that, I don’t want that little voice in my head stopping me from walking over to you to just chat, because who knows what the other students would think.’
Draco nods, understanding what she means, but not really knowing what to tell her.
‘So what do you want?’ Hermione asks.
Draco looks at her, scanning her face, seeing the hurt in her eyes.
‘I want you.’
‘But that’s not enough.’
‘I’m sorry Hermione, I know it’s hard, but I’m asking for just a few more weeks.’
Hermione sighs.
‘I don’t know.’
‘You don’t know if you want to be with me?’
‘I don’t know if this is such a good idea.’
‘Just a few more weeks, that’s all I’m asking for.’
Hermione looks up at him and bites her lip as she considers this. What’s a few more weeks anyway? She can survive keeping it quiet for a few more weeks, can’t she? Why would she make such a big deal out of it? She’s not a dramaqueen, is she? Why be so difficult if this is the only thing he’s asking for.
‘Okay.’ Hermione sighs.
Draco smiles before leaning in and kissing her gently on the lips.
‘Thank you.’
Hermione nods before wrapping her arms around him and pressing herself close to him, knowing this’ll only happen in this dormitory, the moment they step out of their little bubble, they’re nothing more than strangers.