Chapter 29: A Scandal

Ginny's seated in the Gryffindor common room, staring at the fire as Harry and Ron are working on their essays next to her. Ginny sighs as her eyes travel around the common room, which has a few other students scattered across the room doing their own thing. Neville walks down from the boy's dormitory before he sits down on the seat next to the couch as he pulls out his homework. He glances up at Ginny and gives her a small smile before turning back to his book and parchment.

'It's not the same.' Ginny says.

Harry turns to look at her.

'What's not?'

'This, the Gryffindor common room, just everything. It's not the same.'

'Obviously.' Ron huffs.

'What do you mean?' Harry asks.

'Without Hermione around.'

Harry scans his girlfriend's face before nodding. 'I know.'

'I've got the feeling we're losing her.' Ginny admits.

'To Malfoy?' Harry mouths.

Ginny slowly nods.

'To what?' Ron asks, not looking up from his essay.

'To being a Head girl.'

'I wouldn't worry too much about that. I'd worry more about what kind of effect Malfoy could have on her.' Ron says, now turning around to face his sister and best friend.

Ginny and Harry share a look before turning to Neville. 'Everything's better than last year though.' Neville says.

'Everything's better than last year.' Ginny says softly, nodding her head as she looks down at her hands.

'It must've been horrible.' Harry sighs.

'It was.' Neville nods.

'Hey Ginny.'

Ginny turns around to see it's James who called her. Ginny sighs as she turns back around and makes herself comfortable again on the couch.

'What do you want?'

'I was wondering how far you've come with the article?'

'All done.'

'Great. If you could give it to me tomorrow?'

'Sure thing.'

Ron slightly turns to look at his sister as he stifles a laugh.

'Anything else Cliff?'

'No that's it.' James says quickly before walking back to his friends and sitting down.

'He's so annoying.' Ginny groans.

'You don't even give him a chance.' Harry says.

'I don't want to give him a chance.'

Ron laughs and shakes his head. 'You're so stubborn.'

'Runs in the family, now doesn't it brother?'

Harry chuckles before wisely turning back to his homework.

Hermione presses a kiss to Draco's cheek before turning around and walking to the portrait hole.

'Can't you stay a little longer?' Draco calls after her.

Hermione turns to look at him and gives him a small smile. Seeing him sitting in his chair, staring over at her, makes butterflies appear in her stomach. His grey, blue eyes desperately searching her face as she walks back over to him before she kisses him on the lips.