Chapter 39: A letter

Draco looks up as the owls fly into the Great Hall. What he hadn't expected was the letter that was dropped on his plate a moment later. Draco frowns as he opens the envelope and reads the letter.
'Who's it from?' Blaise asks.
'My mother.' Draco says, putting the letter back in the envelope.
'Something wrong?'
'She found out about Hermione and me.'
'She found out? Haven't you already told her?' Blaise asks.
Draco shakes his head.
'Mate, why not?'
'I wasn't sure how she'd react and I wasn't up for a discussion of any kind.'
Blaise slowly nods. 'What are you going to do?'
'Write her back I guess.'
Blaise nods again. 'Sounds like a plan.'
'What are those two constantly staring at?' Draco notes, nodding his head in Goyle and Parkinson's direction.
Blaise shrugs. 'I have no idea, perhaps they're admiring your good hairday.'
Draco nods. 'That must be it.' he answers, looking over at Blaise, who nods with a serious face, making it hard for Draco to keep a smile from popping up on his own.

'Have you told your parents?' Draco asks, making Hermione look up from her book.
'What do you mean?'
'About us.'
'Why are you asking?'
'Can't you just answer the question?'
'Yes, my mother knows about us, I've written her a letter and I'm sure she has either let my father read the letter or told him about it.' Hermione tells him, furrowing her eyebrows as she looks at her boyfriend.
'Can you answer my question now?'
'I might've postponed telling my mother.' Draco says.
'Oh,' Hermione mumbles, raising her eyebrows. 'oh! She reads the Daily Prophet, doesn't she? That's awful Draco! She should've heard it from you, not have read it in a newspaper!'
'I know.' Draco sighs, hiding his face in his hands. 'I just didn't know how she would react and I wasn't up for a discussion or something like that.'
'She's your mother, Draco, you should've told her.'
'I know I should've, but it's a bit too late for that now.'
'So she send you a letter I assume?'
'She did.' Draco nods.
'Was it bad?'
'Read for yourself.' Draco says, offering Hermione the envelope.
'I can't read your mail Draco.'
'Yes you can, I give you permission to read this one.'
Hermione looks from the envelope up at Draco and back to the envelope before sighing and taking it from him. She pulls the letter out and folds it open before starting to read what Draco's mother had written to her only son.

Dear Draco,

I received the Daily Prophet today and you can say I was rather surprised when I read the front page news. How is it that the a newspaper knows more about my son's life than I do? I know we've been through a tough time Draco, but I want you to know that you can talk to me and tell me what happens in your life. I might know why you didn't let me know you're dating Hermione Granger, but I want you to know I'm happy for you and her and I sincerely hope this relationship is for the long run. Now if the newspaper was selling me rubbish, I'd like you to forget you even got this letter apart from; maybe she'd be good for you? Why don't you give it a shot?
I hope you're having a good time at school and you're doing okay.
I love you.

Sincerely yours,

Narcissa Malfoy

'She must be hurt.' Hermione whispers after reading the letter.
'I know, I don't know what to do.' Draco sighs, sitting down next to Hermione on the couch.
'Write her back.' Hermione tells him, folding the letter and pushing it back into the envelope.
'I don't know what to say.'
'The truth would be a good choice.'
'Naturally.'
'She seems to be okay with it. The only thing she's asking from you is to give her a confirmation.' Hermione says, handing him the envelope back as she rubs small circles on his back with her other hand.
'I feel so bad. She's been through so much lately and I know I should be a better son-'
'Don't start blaming yourself. You've been through a lot as well.' Hermione interrupts him. 'You both have. You're trying to figure out who you are as a person and I'm guessing she is too. The fact you'll have to do this under the watchful eye of the Ministry of Magic makes it just harder to do, but you both will be fine. You just have to remember to write your mother every so often to keep her up to date. You shouldn't forget you're surrounded here with people. You've got a best friend you see every day and whom you can talk to, you've got me, but she has no one over there.'
'Are you trying to make me feel even worse?'
'I'm sorry.' Hermione sighs. 'But you know what I mean.'
Draco nods, turning to look at her. 'You're right and I will. I might need you to remind me every so often to write my mother.'
'And I will.' Hermione nods. 'Now get off that arse of yours and go reply to your mum.'
Draco chuckles, shaking his head as he gets up from the couch. 'What would I do without you?'
'I have no idea.'

Hermione's bowed over her homework, looking through one of the books before writing down what she has found, whereas Draco, who's sitting next to her, is attempting to make homework, but his eyes keep drifting off the paper and up to the Slytherin table where Goyle and Parkinson are sitting. Draco narrows his eyes as he looks at them after having noticed the both of them look over at Hermione and himself and he can't help but feel bothered by this. He needs to know what they're talking about.
'I don't trust Parkinson and Goyle.' Draco says all of a sudden.
'I wouldn't worry about them.' Hermione says, looking up from her parchment.
'I do, I don't want them to do something that might hurt you.'
'You don't have to worry about me, I can take care of myself.' she says.
'I know you can.' Draco sighs.
'Well then. What do you think they might do?'
'Something.'
'Thank you for clearing that up, Malfoy.'
'You're very welcome, Granger.'
'But seriously, they can't do anything from within Hogwarts.'
'That's what you think. Who do you think was that secret source that gave the Daily Prophet all that inside information?'
'James Cliff?'
'My guess is on either Parkinson or Goyle or both of them.'
'How did we even get on this subject?' Hermione asks.
'Oh I was just thinking.' Draco shrugs.
'About?'
'Nothing in particular.'
Hermione raises her eyebrows, but chooses to leave it be.
'Hey.'
Hermione looks up and sees her three friends walk up to them in the almost empty Great Hall. 'Hey, what are you doing here?'
'We saw you sit here and figured, why not just join them.' Ginny shrugs.
'How was training?' Hermione asks.
'It was alright.'
'Is every teammember still alive?'
'Mentally speaking, yes, physically? Not so much.' Harry says, sitting down opposite Hermione.
'You seem rather beaten up.' Hermione notes.
'Thanks.' Harry huffs, resting his head on his arms on the table.
'Hermione, could I have a word with you?' Ron asks.
'Sure.' Hermione shrugs, getting up from her seat and following Ron out of the Great Hall.
'What's the deal with Malfoy?' Ron asks.
'What do you mean?'
'Have you forgotten he lied to you?'
'Ron.' Hermione sighs.
'I'm just saying-'
'I know what you're trying to say Ronald, but do I have to remind you that you have lied to me as well when we were together and have I not forgiven you for that?'
'Yes-'
'Well, I don't see the problem. You don't know the whole story and I'm not keen on sharing it with you without Draco's permission. I appreciate your concern about me, I really do, but you have to tone it down a notch. I'm happy when I'm with him. He's nice to me and treats me well. I don't want to throw that all away just because he made a stupid mistake. He's only human, just like you and me, and he can make mistakes. Everyone deserves a second chance.'
Ron sighs. 'In his case twenty chances as it seems.'
'Ronald.' Hermione hisses warningly.
'I know, I know. I just don't want you to end up hurt and I know I'm not really one to speak because I have hurt you deeply, but that doesn't mean I want you to go through that kind of pain again.'
Hermione nods. 'And I appreciate that, but I can take care of myself.'
Ron nods. 'I know you can take care of yourself, that doesn't take away the fact that I still feel the need to protect you. You're one of my best friend's Hermione. Without you there's no Golden Trio, there's a Golden duo and that's not right.'
'That name.' Hermione groans, making Ron chuckle.
'You'll have to live with it.' Ron grins. 'I actually dig it.'
'I'm sure you do.'
'Come on.' Ron says, waving her over to walk back into the Great Hall.
'Just be careful, okay?'
'I will.' Hermione says, walking up to him and giving him a quick hug before entering the Great Hall again to join her friends and boyfriend at the table where Draco and she had been making homework.

A/N

The only questions that remain are; how did Lucius escape? Who helped him? And if Parkinson and Goyle are planning on doing something, what are they up to?

I hope you're enjoying the story so far and I hope you liked this chapter. Thank you once again for reading, voting, adding this story to your reading list and commenting! It honestly means a lot to me that people actually take the time to read my work and I still can't believe people would want to read my work!

I'll do my very best to finish a new chapter as soon as possible!

Lots of love

xx