Unexpected Date

Riana's POV

All gryffindors fourth years and up have been summoned to McGonagall's classroom. When we arrived we noticed the desks gone and rows of seats on either side of the room. Girls sat on one side and the boys the other. There is also a giant gramophone with Mr Filch standing next it holding Mrs Norris.

"The Yule Ball is approaching - a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above - although you may invite a younger student if you wish" Professor McGonagall explains. Lavender Brown let out a shrill giggle. Parvati Patil nudged her hard in the ribs, her face working furiously as she too fought not to giggle. They both looked around at Harry, Professor McGonagall ignored them.

I share a look with Hermione. Who would invite us to a ball? "Dress robes will be worn, and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall. Now then the Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to - er - let our hair down" she tells us. Lavender giggled harder than ever, with her hand pressed hard against her mouth to stifle the sound. I to suppress a laugh. I don't think any of us have ever seen Professor McGonagall with her hair down.

"The house of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizarding world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you, in the course of a single evening, besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons!" sh states.

"Try saying that five times fast" I tell Hermione.

"Shush" she shushes me and I roll my eyes. I notice the twins doing it and smile.

"Silence" Professor McGonagall tells us all. "Now to dance is to let the body breathe, inside every girl a secret swan slumbers longing to burst forth and take flight" she tells us. "Inside every boy a lordly lion prepared to prance" she continues looking at Harry and Ron. "Mr Weasly, will you join me" she says pulling him into the center of the room.

"Now, place your right hand on my waist" she tells Ron.

"Where?" he asks her bug eyed.

"My waist, Mr Weasley" she tells him placing his hand on her waist. I bite my lip to keep myself from laugh. Mr Filch starts the music. "One two three, one two three, one two three" she counts as they waltz. "Everybody come together" she tells us.

Us girls get to our feet immediately. But the boys stay seated looking uncomfortable. "Boys, on your feet" she instructs. Neville and few others find their courage. A fifth year offers me his hand. I accept it with a small smile and we dance. I notice Hermione with Neville.

(Time skip)

Dance lessons were over. Thank Merlin. Hermione and I decided to go study. But my bag was in our dorm room. So I told her I'd meet her at the library. I am on my way back to Gryffindor tower when I'm pulled into an empty classroom. I draw my wand and point it at the persons throat. "Honestly Draco, I could of hexed you" I mutter lowering my wand.

"Sorry Riana, I just wanted to speak to you in private" he states.

"About what?" I ask him curious.

"I take it you've heard about the Yule Ball" he says.

"Professor McGonagall just told us gryffindors and gave us a dancing lesson" I tell him and giggle.

"What's so funny?" he asks me curious.

"Ron was made her dance partner for being a prat" I tell him and he chuckles.

"I would of loved to be a fly on the wall for that" he tells me.

"I would of loved to be a fly on the wall to see Snape teach you all dancing" I tell him sniggering.

"He didn't really, just supervised" he tells me. "Most slytherins were taught how to ball room dance at a young age. He just told us about the ball and to partner up. And practice the waltz" he explains.

"Bummer" I mutter. "Anyway, what about the ball?" I ask him.

"Right" he says scratching the back of his neck and I notice a faint blush on his checks.

"Are you blushing?" I ask him with a smile.

"No!" he exclaims blushing harder and I giggle. "You're not helping" he tells me.

"Sorry Draco" I tell him. "I promise, I won't tell a soul" I assure him. "Anyway, you were saying about the ball" I say.

"Right about the ball, I was wondering... Well if you were free... I mean if you want to..." he thimbles of his words. I giggle and kiss his cheek shutting him up.

"I'd be honoured to go to the ball with you" I tell him smiling.

"Great" he says blushing again. But smiling. "I'll meet you in the entrance hall then? At quarter to eight?" he asks. I nod my head.

"Our secret until then" I tell him smiling. I left and got my book before meeting Hermione in the library. I find her blushing madly as Viktor left. "What happened?" I ask her.

"He just asked me to the ball" she mutters. I go to scream and she covers my mouth. "Are you going to stay quiet?" she asks and I nod my head. She removes her hands and groans. "What was I thinking? I don't even have a dress" she whines.

"I can fix that" I tell her smiling. "I have two" I state. She looks at me surprised. "I brought one with me, then brought one during the last Hogsmeade visit. You can have the blue one I brought from home" I tell her.

"Are you sure?" she asks me.

"We're the same size and I've never worn it. It'll look great on you" I tell her.

"But my hair" she says gesturing to it.

"I know just the potion" I tell her smiling. "Lets go" I tell her getting up.

"Where are we going?" she asks me.

"Shopping" I state.

"But it's not a Hogsmeade weekend" she reminds me.

"Live a little Hermione" I tell her. "Besides if we don't go now, we won't be able to get you the accessories and potion you need" I state.

"Oh fine, but if we get caught. This was your idea" she tells me. I nod my head and we left the library. We left the school by the Whomping Willow and went to Hogsmeade. We got her shoes, jewelry and got make up. I also got the potion to tame her hair. She was surprised that Harry's grandfather invented it. I also told her about Draco asking me to the ball. We both agreed to keep each others dates a secret. We returned to the castle unnoticed and I showed her the dress. "Oh it's perfect" she tells me smiling broadly. "Thank you Riana" she adds.

"You are welcome, we'll get ready together on the night of the ball" I tell her. She nods her head. We then go to the library and studied like we had planned too.

A/N

Picture above of the Gryffindor dance lesson.